Novice - best underwater camera/case (point & shoot) - December 2010?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm, I am a bit torn between the Canons and the Panasonic.
I've been reading specs and reviews all day!
I am also wondering if the old Canon S90 is just as good as the S95?

I really like the HD video capabilities on the Lumix, but a lot of reviewers have said that the Canon is really excellent in low light conditions, and also produces excellent, clear shots (but the video isn't as fast as the Lumix, and is choppy at 24 FPS as opposed to about 30 FPS).

The photos that the Lumix takes have mixed reviews - some people like them, others say they can be blurry, and one reviewer said that the camera was slow to respond. The video, however, is definitely better on the Lumix.

What to do, what to do... Does anyone else have any comments on the above that they can add from experience? I have to buy fast, because otherwise I won't get it in time for my trip!
I guess I have to decide if the photos or the video is my priority. Opinions?
I will let everyone know what I decide to get in the end, and also how it works out.
:)

I think no matter what camera you pick you will always find a downside to it, wether it be slow, poor battery life, terrible low light, etc, etc... Even if you look at DSLRs you'll still read negative reviews on how a feature of that camera is terrible.

You really have to ask yourself what feature is most important for you and then go with that, the other features are just a bonus at that point. Like I said before, good HD video is the main reason for me (60/30 FPS is a must). It's much better to show friends and family videos I've created rather than pictures (pictures just don't have that story telling ability that video does, nor does it really showcase scuba diving IMO). After the video, taking good pictures is just an upside at this point, plus it fits in my pocket. As a normal person, I've yet to see any point and shoot take great photos all the time and I think that is what you read most of the time from negative user reviews. Plus I've really never seen a mid level point and shoot consistantly take really bad photos either.

For most people any mid level point and shoot with manual white balance and/or underwater settings will do just fine for amateur scuba diving pics/vids. Once he or she learns how to use it rather than relying on auto settings, I think they will be happy with the quality of the photos.

Honestly, write down 3-5 cameras you are considering and go visit an electronics retailer and try them out.

Another reason to consider is money. Pasonic Lumix ZS7 is $250 new a Canon S95 is $370 new. If you flood the case for whatever reason would you rather be out $250 or $370? :/ Just an idea.

Hey diver, I've read the S95 has poor battery life. How much recording time do you get on a full charge when doing HD video?

One of the reasons I didn't consider the S95 aside from the poor battery performace was the camera cant optical zoom or autofocus while recording. That seems like a big problem if you want to record HD video. Are these actual problems while recording HD video at all underwater?

Just for the heck of it, videoed(some of) the music @ our church Christmas music this afternoon.Got 35 minutes (straight) of video on a full battery charge with a 4 gig card in--ran out of space 1st & had 1 bar of power left...I was in it so I just set the camera on a side table, tuned it on & let it run....??possibly could have gotten 45 minutes of total time(just a guess there)...

Canadian, What to do??.....if your public profile is correct ie no dive experience, I would not worry about taking pics @ this time---I'd concentrate on my diving skills.....

Hahaha! I am not a diver, like you Diver85 - just a (completely) amateur snorkeler wannabe. I won't be diving down into the depths of the ocean, or anything remotely like that - just hanging around floating on the surface, looking for the odd fish to swim by.
I want to take some photos of the fish at the places I snorkel (Molokini Crater, and somewhere in Kona), because I like to have some photographic memories to look at afterwards. But, I do really enjoy snorkeling, so far, so I would rather get one really good camera that will last me a long, long time, than get a sub-par one that I will have to replace sooner rather than later.
What I really, really want the camera for is the shark cage tour I am going on on the North shore of Oahu. I won't be swimming around then, just sitting in my little cage watching the sharks swim by! Lots of time to get some killer photos/video, if I am lucky. :D
Scubawrx, I see your point. I just have to think a bit more, because the casing is going to cost me more than the camera, in the case of the Lumix (I can only get it from one place here in Canada, in time - it's out of stock almost everywhere else, including Amazon, where it has to ship from Japan).
It really is between the various Canons and the Lumix you recommended at this point. I think I will wander over to a Henry's camera store tomorrow if the roads clear up (too icy right now) and do as you suggested. You're right that it's good to hold it in your hands and check out the features personally, before you buy.
Thanks for all the tips/thoughts!!!
I will let you know what I end up buying. :D

Hmm, I am a bit torn between the Canons and the Panasonic.
I've been reading specs and reviews all day!

I really like the HD video capabilities on the Lumix, but a lot of reviewers have said that the Canon is really excellent in low light conditions, and also produces excellent, clear shots (but the video isn't as fast as the Lumix, and is choppy at 24 FPS as opposed to about 30 FPS).

The photos that the Lumix takes have mixed reviews - some people like them, others say they can be blurry, and one reviewer said that the camera was slow to respond. The video, however, is definitely better on the Lumix.

What to do, what to do... Does anyone else have any comments on the above that they can add from experience? I have to buy fast, because otherwise I won't get it in time for my trip!
I guess I have to decide if the photos or the video is my priority. Opinions?
I will let everyone know what I decide to get in the end, and also how it works out.

I just love my TS2 (Panasonic DMC-FT2/TS2). If you'll buy a compact UW camera without housing, than forget about Canon and Olympus cameras and buy Panasonic DMC-TS2. I have had almost all UW cameras without housing (between 2005 and 2010) and TS2 is undoubtedly the best compact P&S UW camera.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/un...6883-sharm-el-sheikh-9-16-october-2010-a.html

Check some of my TS2/FT2 UW movies YouTube - PrimozP's Channel and photos Sharm el Sheikh, oct.2010 album | Primoz | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy. , Sharm El Sheikh 03-10 oct. 2009 album | Primoz | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.

C99999--makes sense now....It's gunna be a hard decision for you it looks like between those 2.....Please let us know what you decide, how the pics/videos turn out, & post some of them here...

EDIT: & hopefully the sharks cooperate...

Hi Primus, hi Diver 85
I was originally looking at just getting an underwater camera without the housing (either the Panasonic TS2 or the Canon D10), but I read so many reviews about them leaking (either immediately, or after a day, a week, etc...), that it basically has scared me away... My friend said that they are good cameras and that only people who don't know what they're doing have those problems, but I am a complete novice with underwater photography, so I am worried that I might make some mistake with it and wreck it! Also, even if only 1 in 10 has some kind of structural problem, I still don't know if I want to risk it, and potentially be caught without an underwater camera on my trip. You did take beautiful photos, though with your TS2!!! So, it's tempting to reconsider (especially since underwater cameras are less expensive than buying one with a housing). If I were sure that it wasn't going to leak on me, I probably would get the TS2 camera. I am just worried about it.

I suppose, another option is to just get a super-cheap disposable (which is what most people I've talked to advocate), but I really hate to do that, because the photos are generally awful (assuming they turn out at all!), and I really want some nice shots.

So, at this point, I am still leaning towards the Lumix ZS7 or the Canon S95 with an underwater case. I suppose the case can still leak, but I figure the odds are at least a bit better that I won't ruin it, with some kind of outer protection??

I am thinking about the S90 as well (despite the battery issues - I will just get a spare battery if I buy it), because I can't seem to find an ikelite case for the S95 online right now (and the canon case may have some issues, apparently?). Also, since the video on the S95 isn't that great anyway, maybe it doesn't matter if it has video. If I decide that I definitely want video, I may just get the Panasonic Lumix ZS7 (I found a case in Canada).

I still have to decide between the two brands - they both look like they take really nice shots underwater. That's where I am at right now. Still thinking! I'm very indecisive, and both cameras have good points. I wish I was independently wealthy - that way I could buy all of them! LOL!! :D

Diver85, yes, I will let you know what I get, and I will definitely come back and post photos, etc. after my trip. :)

C9999(I just now read Primus's post about the Panasonic),heck for what you're wanting it for, I'd go with the one Pimus just showed---those are very good pics.....Now on the other hand-lol-, concerning the Canon housing, I have about 300 dives on my A570IS Canon housing & have never had any issues with it----& it's been thru some kinda ruff treatment over the past 3+ years(even have a NICE little ole scratch on the front lens port!!)..

EDIT, you can see the scratch pretty good in this land video(shot during a surface interval & kept camera in UW housing)---doesn't bother it as much UW in pics & videos...
http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w169/GEAUXtiger/Fiji%20land%20pics%20and%20videos/?action=view&current=20100912059.mp4

Last edited:
Primus, very good pics you linked.......I too use Picasa 3 (then some in Elements 5.0) for editing my pics...What exactly do you mean by 'PP' ie in this statement "I am using only Picasa3 for PP"?..TIA...

Back
Top Bottom