Novice - best underwater camera/case (point & shoot) - December 2010?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Canadian99999

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi Everyone,
I was originally looking for a waterproof point and shoot camera (e.g. Canon D-10 or Panasonic Lumix TS2), but I have read a bunch of reviews that say they have trouble with water leaking in and ruining the cameras. I don't want to pay that much money for a camera, just to have it conk out on vacation (or even a year later)! I am going to Hawaii in a few weeks! :D

So, I think a camera with a casing would be better. Can anyone recommend some good digital cameras with underwater casings? I looked at a previous thread, but it was from a year ago, so may be out of date??

I don't want to bankrupt myself (have to save money for the snorkeling tours!), but if I can get something that costs around $300-$500, that would probably be reasonable.

I want something that is easy to use underwater. I am NOT too familiar with digital cameras. But, I guess what I would like is something with a fast shutter speed, good photo quality (sharp, clear focus - as much as possible), that performs well in low light (maybe with a flash or something?), and does not have not a huge lag time between photos (so I don't miss the fishies!!). Video recording would be a bonus, if it's easy to use, and view afterwards.

Also, do I need to buy a strobe light? Or can I just get by with the camera? I am going snorkeling mostly (snuba might also be a possibility, and some day, maybe diving..., but I really want it for snorkeling).

I need lots of advice - I have never tried underwater photography before. I am excited to start, though!!!
Thanks for any help you can give me!!
Claire.

Wow - what a loaded question.

I'm sure you will get much better opinions than mine and some will be pretty strong ones. I mostly do "snapshots" which it sounds like you may do to start. I was a terrible U/W photographer at first but now I consider myself to be only bad. :wink: I started small and have built things up as I get better. I am partial to Olympus cameras because that is what I use. I have an Olympus E-520 DSLR that I won't take underwater.

I have a point and shoot Olympus SP-560 in a housing with a tray and strobe and it gives me good U/W pictures and Standard Def video. I will probably upgrade this year to the EPL1 model. (will be over $1000 with case)

For snorkling and with O/W students, I use an Olympus Stylus Tough 8000 without a housing. It is good to 33 ft and works great. It has U/W modes built in and I've taken better pix with this than my U/W setup. The newer 8010 takes HD video. Housings are also available but may take you over the $500 limit. The 6020 camera with housing should be under $500. This would be a good way to start.

Whether you need a strobe depends on the amount of available light (read as depth and vis.) I use a strobe for diving but not for snorkling. Remember that you can always add a strobe later. I went a year without one then added a tray, arms and an Olympus UFL-2. I'm going to add a second strobe this year.

I recommend you look at Jack Connick's site. Camera Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & More! - Optical Ocean Sales Underwater Photo - 800-359-1295!
He is a frequent SB poster and I got some great advice and found his prices to be pretty good.

Whatever you decide on, try to get in the water to play with it with it before your trip - and have FUN.

Jeff

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
I will look into the cameras and the website you recommended. :)
I really don't know much about underwater photography - just what I have been reading online (reviews of cameras on Amazon, etc...), so I need something to balance out my own "bad" underwater shooting abilities - because I am sure I won't do too well at the beginning, but I would like to have at least a few shots that turn out! LOL!
:)

I'm in the same boat as you, but I think you have to up your limit to $600 if you want a decent point and shoot with HD video (at least HD is important to me).

Here's what I've been considering for a point and shoot and HD video. At this point I'm up in the air about which one I want. Both roughly are in then $500-$600 range with the marine case.

1st option. Panasonic Lumix ZS7 with the Panasonic Marine Case MCTZ10. Camera is $250 on Amazon and case is like $250-300. Camera does 720p 30 or 60 FPS, Stereo sound, has GPS if you like that feature. It also has an underwater mode for both pictures or video for use in blue water. You can also manulally set white balance if you so choose. Hit up youtube for sample videos.

2nd option is a little more expensive, but not much. Sony HX5V with Ikelite case. Camera is $280 on Amazon and the ikelite case goes for $300. I sort of like this setup because of the low lite ability and panoramic photos it takes. It also does 1080i at 60 FPS or 720p at 60 or 30 fps. I dont know if there is an underwater scene mode or if you can set white balance in movie mode yet (I have yet to play with the camera). Also I'm sort of worried about the low lite of using it underwater because I've read that the reason it does so well with photos in low lite is because of the post processing the camera does and I dont know if that same function is used during HD video. The ikelite case does have its advantage though with the ability to use color correcting and underwater magnification lenses. You do lose a certain function of the camera with the ikelite which I believe is a function you wouldn't use underwater anyway. Also hit up youtube for video samples as well, although there aren't many underwater ones. And the ones they do have I think the camera user failed to set the white balance.

I currently have a Panasonic TZ4 with the panasonic marine case and it takes wonderful pictures. I can honestly say I've never had a problem with the panasonic case leaking, had it for 2 years now. Been using it for snorkling trips mostly and a few dive trips. But now I'm primarialy in the HD video boat and want to upgrade.

Here's some great Panasonic ZS7 videos. Ikelite also makes a case for this camera, but it's $380.

[youtubehq]gU30UXOsGFc&hd=1[/youtubehq]

[youtubehq]ahcjeTm7Pjc&hd=1[/youtubehq]

Without a strobe, the Canon S95 & Canon UW housing go for $600 US(like 470 for camera & 219---I believe--for the UW housing)...All from Amazon.com with free shipping etc etc etc....

You should some great shots with that unit.....For an example, see some of my pics in my Sig below from the much older A570 with no strobe to get an idea(this camera is MUCH better than my old one)...plus it has HD video.....

EDIT: and even cheaper is the S90 by about ???50 bucks..Has no HD but still a great camera for UW.

Thanks for the info Scubawrx. :)
Wow, cool videos!!
Yeah, I have been looking on my own all day, and I think you're right - I guess you get what you pay for, and I may have to up my upper limit. Maybe I will get an external strobe, while I am at it.
I am going to look into the ones you recommended.
Thanks for the info!!
Claire.

Hey diver, I've read the S95 has poor battery life. How much recording time do you get on a full charge when doing HD video?

One of the reasons I didn't consider the S95 aside from the poor battery performace was the camera cant optical zoom or autofocus while recording. That seems like a big problem if you want to record HD video. Are these actual problems while recording HD video at all underwater?

Back
Top Bottom