Novice AOW and the Duane

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Orlando Eric:
You can always spend a little extra dough and hired a guide to go with you on these dives that you want to try. I am actually amazed at how often WE divers go to far away places and make dives on sites that we have never been to but do not hire a local guide to dive with us. Not a group DM but a third person to guide you and your buddy only, hired by you to look out for you.
Other sports use local guides all the time. There is the money issue of hiring one bt overall I think the dive experience would be improved. I have a few pages in my very own log that read... 80', clear, strong current, SAND and LOTS of it...
If you don't like waves and current... don't commit to diving either wreck. One or the other, if not both, are normally present on both wrecks. While we are occassionally treated to days with neither... those days are rare.

Ask about conditions in advance, and be aware that conditions change continually... from one day to the next... from morning to afternoon... and even during the course of a single dive. I've seen the current at the Grove swing 110 degrees, and go from "nada" to "totally ripping", in ten minutes time. I've dived the Duane when there was no current at the surface, and loads of current at depth. Both wrecks should be considered "advanced" dives, and one is not necessarily "easier" than the other.

Prepare for the worst, and pray for the best. Hire a local guide to show you the ropes, and how to best cope with prevailing site-specific conditions. As you gain knowledge and experience, your ideas of what constitutes "difficult and unpleasant" will naturally evolve. Dive safely, and never stop learning!

This weekend was not the time to dive either wrecks with 15 dives or so. I had much more experienced divers in my group who were very uncomfortable. Friday all dives to the Grove were cancelled.

Good luck and be safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom