Novice AOW and the Duane

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amyx1

Registered
Reaction score
I'm heading down to Key West and Key Largo in a week or so and my more-diving-experience-then-me-but-not-THAT-much-more fiance and I were thinking of diving the Duane. I was PADI OW certified last year, AOW certified a few months later, and have about 15 dives under my belt (including Nitrox certification) - but mostly on shallower reefs and quarry stuff. I was told that the Duane was a pretty difficult dive - deep and possible strong current. Any comments or enlightenment as to if I'd be over my head with that one? The alternative would be the Spiegel Grove...but I have a feeling it's just as advanced or nearly so (don't want to do the Benwood - already done it). We're staying at Amy Slate's for two days and they aren't diving either during that time. Aquanuts will be going to the Duane, and we could pick up a dive with them. I'm unsure as to any other diving outfits in that area that might be going to the Spiegel Grove.

Thanks so much for any help! I'm in good shape, not prone to panic, and I'm comfortable with depths beyond 70 feet. I just don't want to get in over my head (so to speak).

Amy

Amy, being aware of the problem is most of the solution in this case. I've been with brand new divers on these wrecks and neither presented major degrees of difficulty. Since you are aware of the depth and current, and are trained for these dives, I suggest you don't miss them!

Yes, the current can be strong. You basically follow the line down and then back up so you won't be swept away. You don't need a lot of body strength to do that... just be sure you don't let go. But if you somehow lose the line, they'll pick you up. If you let go on a particulary bad day you'd have to be a very strong swimmer to catch the line again - I know from experience!!

The current is typically lighter down below, however, especially downcurrent where the wreck shields you.

The depth is something to watch but not to be worry about. There is plenty to see above 90 feet.

Go. Have fun. They aren't tech dives.

You sound prepared for the dives, I'd say go for it.

Some other ops that run to the Duane and Grove are Island Ventures, Horizon Divers and Ocean Divers to name just a few of the many I'd choose over Amy Slate's.

The Duane can have ripping current for sure. Just make sure you wear gloves. They will make your "hang" on the line much more comfy. You will likely have to pull yourself down to the wreck. Take your time and don't be afraid to thumb the dive if it gets too rough.
The Duane is one of my favorite wrecks in the Keys. However, it is truly an advanced dive. Normally, when I take (relatively) new divers I dive the Grove because there is more relief.
Be safe and have fun,
Dana

The SG is too bad as long as you kown your limits. If the current is not to bad, it's actually an easy dive. It's on it's side and the top side in in around 50 ft so following the buoy line down to the wreck and staying on the side or just below the rail is a nice wreck dive, you can see a lot and don't need to go deep. You just need to avoid the temptation to drop to the sand at around 130 ft. I would suggest taking gloves and a jon line just in case the current is bad. The day I dove it, there was flat seas and zero current but I understand that was not a normal day and the current is typically a lot more.

We dive both wrecks often. Your concern regarding the suitability of either dive for a relative novice, regardless of certification level, is a testament to your intelligence. The waves and current are generally bigger and stronger at the deep wrecks due to the fact that they are further offshore.

Strong current, which should be expected and prepared for, can produce anxiety in divers who are otherwise very comfortable in the water. Left unchecked, anxiety escalates into panic in short order. Fear and water don't mix. Don't be afraid to call the dive if things aren't going your way.

Your crew will assess conditions at the site and recommend techniques that have proven effective previously. If you pay attention, and heed their advice, you will probably have an enjoyable (and quite possibly challenging) dive.

The advice so far has been great. You can call around and ask the operators that went out the previous trip what the current was like. That is the biggest challenge. To alleviate your concerns about getting blown off and lost, bring a safety sausage with you. It will give you the comfort of knowing that if you are on the surface away from the line they will see you. There are lots of boats in the area, so if you don't make it back to your boat, you will have the opportunity to make new friends.

Thank you everyone for all the great advice (I would never have thought to take gloves, either) and kind words. I really appreciate it!!

It was my experience on my first "real" dive down in Key Largo that the waves and current were bad as a storm had just passed through the area. We were more or less just tossed off the boat anyway (the seasickness didn't go away in the water, believe it or not). Let me tell ya, I had just been OW certified about two week prior in a quarry and was I ever angry that no one had told me how difficult and unpleasant diving was. I was fighting current the entire time and it wasn't fun. Thankfully the next spot we went to was clear and calm and made me regret all the bad things I'd said about diving. Long story short: I'm just not too keen on a dive outfit not wanting to lose the money on scuttling a trip and sending us out in bad conditions.

That being said, I'm wiser now and have no problem calling a dive if I feel uncomfortable, and I think with what everyone here has so kindly said, it shouldn't be a problem now that I know what to expect and what to check for before the dive, and I feel up to the challenge. Perhaps we will try the SG first (as some have mentioned that it's an easier advanced dive) and then the Duane after that.

Thanks again!!!!

Amy

You can always spend a little extra dough and hired a guide to go with you on these dives that you want to try. I am actually amazed at how often WE divers go to far away places and make dives on sites that we have never been to but do not hire a local guide to dive with us. Not a group DM but a third person to guide you and your buddy only, hired by you to look out for you.
Other sports use local guides all the time. There is the money issue of hiring one bt overall I think the dive experience would be improved. I have a few pages in my very own log that read... 80', clear, strong current, SAND and LOTS of it...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom