Novae - Dive SST-50 Flashlight 1200LM (100M) + MORE!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seb, is the bezel removable on the 1200?

I placed my order a couple days ago so I'm hoping to get it late next week or the following week.

There is no bezel you can simply turn in the head. Look at the 6th picture on page 6. The 4 notches would require a tool in order to remove the bezel. The light also separates right below the on/off silver ring. Didn't notice that until today. Triple O-Rings there though.

Thanks for the information !
My P7 (first gen, with the silver part not fixed yet) was flooded and i'm looking for a remplacement. The SST50 looks quite larger than the P7, is it possible to get a shot with the flashlight in the hand ? Thanks !

IMG_0581copy.jpg

Hey guys, how do you think it would compare to this torch for only $130.80 with free shipping:

dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.44966

Hey guys, how do you think it would compare to this torch for only $130.80 with free shipping:

dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.44966

It's the same torch.

Seb, is the bezel removable on the 1200?

I placed my order a couple days ago so I'm hoping to get it late next week or the following week.

I have a non-diving light with that type of bezel. There are tools sold for that purpose or you can just make your own or just use two screwdrivers and be careful, etc.

I have a non-diving light with that type of bezel. There are tools sold for that purpose or you can just make your own or just use two screwdrivers and be careful, etc.

I'm hoping that I don't need to buy the tool or use two screw drivers to tighten it when I'm 60+ ft. Have you bought yours yet? Mine is still in transit.

I'm hoping that I don't need to buy the tool or use two screw drivers to tighten it when I'm 60+ ft. Have you bought yours yet? Mine is still in transit.

If it's tight it's tight. You shouldn't have to be tightening it at 60 fsw. The only reason the bezel was coming loose on the MC-E light was because the spring was too long and wasn't allowing the glass to fully seat on the o-ring. There is nothing about increasing water pressure that unscrews a bezel.

I don't know that I will buy one. I'm waiting to hear more results from those who have both this new light and the MC-E light.

It's not entirely apparent to me that this light will be substantially (if any) better. If the lumen output is only a couple of hundred lumen higher and if the beam is a little broader then it may be worse rather than better.

More backscatter is not a plus. If the beam is as tight or tighter and the increased output is noticeable then I may eventually get one. The size and the battery used in the SST-50 model isn't a plus in my book either as it's harder to find and the light itself is bigger. I use mine in a hands-free mount so size may be a factor.

I thought my MC-E light bezel was tight enough above water but as soon as I went down to 60+ fsw, it was very loose -- about a couple of turns. Luckily it didn't flood.

At first I was also contemplating buying another light but then decided to dive right in and bought one because it had a higher lumen and it's new. Ok, I don't have a real good excuse.. I just like LED lights. :) My SST-50 light is still in transit so I hope to get it sometime this week. Bad part is my drysuit is in repairs so I won't be able to get any beam shots underwater.

From CyprusSeb's review, it looks it's marginally bigger lengthwise and bigger in diameter. The hotspot seems to be a bit bigger too but from the looks of the picture, he's only about half a foot (or less) away from the wall.

We're comparing 900lm vs 1200lm and I have to agree that I don't think it's going to be substantially brighter -- at least in human eyes. But if it will give me a bigger hotspot with a less doughnut, then it'll be a plus in my book. I'm also concerned about the duration of the SST-50. The SST-50 isn't as efficient as the MC-E. Then again, I'd ok with it if it can last a couple of night dives.

Let me know if you dive up here in BC. I can show you the lights first hand.

Back
Top Bottom