Nov. 4th: Dive In to the LCRA Archives

Will you attend?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lcra_archives

Registered
Reaction score
LCRA Corporate Archives and your very own diver, Jeff Eichelberger aka Driftwood, will present a discussion about scuba diving in Lake Travis, featuring historic photos of Mansfield Dam construction.

Learn how scuba divers have located the remains of the Shaker Plant and Quarry site, which were used during the construction of the dam.

Confirmed Speakers:
Dan Prikryl, LCRA Archaeologist
Jeff Eichelberger, Lake Travis Diver

7p.m. Nov. 4th
LCRA Redbud Center, Room 108
3601 Lake Austin Blvd.
Austin, TX

Questions? Reply to this thread or contact us
archives AT lcra DOT org
Dixie & Jean

Sorry, i will not be able to attend, as i have class that day. However, i would really like to hear the info, will you guys have transcripts of the presentation?

I would love to go but being from the DFW area and it being in the middle of the week, I won't be able to make it due to work. I too would be interested in any transcripts of the presentation. I have dove Lake Travis for over 20 years now. It is my favorite lake to dive.
Thank you.

I will be attending. My dive buddy and I found wood structure right off the boat dock of Mansfield dam at 100'. I am thinking this is part of the transport system from the shaker plant to the construction site. We are planning to dive again next week to try to photograph the structure.

I will be attending. My dive buddy and I found wood structure right off the boat dock of Mansfield dam at 100'. I am thinking this is part of the transport system from the shaker plant to the construction site. We are planning to dive again next week to try to photograph the structure.

Probably not part of the tramline from the Shaker Plant. The last tower on the Horseshoe Bend/Sometimes Island was a lot further to the northeast. The archive has some excellent photos of the area you were in dating from the late 1930's. The one photo that comes to mind is W01058 dated 11/17/37. It may be on the LCRA Flickr page.

I will do a basic single camera video of the presentation nothing fancy. $5 a DVD to cover cost of tape, mailing and DVD burn if anyone is interested. PM me with your name and address and I will mail it to you after the event.

If you missed our last trip out to explore the site with low lake levels and Lake Travis Scuba you can see the portion of the site we had time to capture on camera underwater.

:popcorn:

Lake Travis Scuba is going to Shaker Plant for one of the two dives during the weekends leading up to the presentation so you can explore this historic location. Take advantage of the low lake levels to dive a site not easily accessible to recreational divers. The mooring line is at 20', which would equate to 70' with a full lake. Just off the mooring line is the wall leading down to the structural remnants at current depths of 40'-60' or greater.

We are running the fall/winter schedule of one charter per weekend day from 10:00 am - 2:00 pm. For current lake level and temps, visit the links page on our web site for the Lake Conditions report.

Robert Weiss
Lake Travis Scuba
Welcome to Lake Travis Scuba

Lake Travis Scuba is going to Shaker Plant for one of the two dives during the weekends leading up to the presentation so you can explore this historic location. Take advantage of the low lake levels to dive a site not easily accessible to recreational divers. The mooring line is at 20', which would equate to 70' with a full lake. Just off the mooring line is the wall leading down to the structural remnants at current depths of 40'-60' or greater.

We are running the fall/winter schedule of one charter per weekend day from 10:00 am - 2:00 pm. For current lake level and temps, visit the links page on our web site for the Lake Conditions report.

Robert Weiss
Lake Travis Scuba
Welcome to Lake Travis Scuba

For my second time out, I found the bearings Robert gave me to be extremely helpful.
I was able to really get time to study objects underwater this trip. Since I had familiarity from the previous outing, but it was all new to me on that last dive.

I was able to get some of the historical objects and cuttings from the rocks on video. The weather could not have been better with this nice sunny day. Water temperature in Lake Travis today was 75 degrees down to 60 feet.

Really liked the historical pictures Robert has a reference on his dive boat the "Giant Stride" Mike was our DM and took care of all the divers needs. Great day to dive shaker plant, now I want to get back out to explore the rock wall heading North towards the little Colorado river channel. This looks very interesting. The event on November 4th should help me to piece this site together better in my head when I am underwater.

Don't know if any of the power line foundations or pieces can be found yet either. Looking for those high voltage power lines of course across from the pipe and rock wall.

:popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom