Nov. 30, 2009 Ten Mile Point photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark, whats the difference between sea-nettle and lions-mane jellies? I would have misidentified those for sure.

It's hard to describe. The sea nettles almost have faint stripes on their bells and the outer tentacles are dark compared to the lighter inner tentacles. There are links on the internet with better photos and descriptions. The first time I saw one (this fall) at South Bedford Island, it just looked different than the usual lion's mane.

I think the most obvious visual difference is that the sea nettles have distinctly separate dark whip like tentacles around the outer edge of their bell. Also the sea nettles inner tentacles tend to be a longer lacier looking frills, whereas the lions mane has denser scruffier looking tentacles.

Either way, neither make good pets.

Interesting photos as usual Marc. When you take self portraits with the timer like that do you just set your camera down or do you have a little stand/tripod?

Either way, neither make good pets.

Interesting photos as usual Marc. When you take self portraits with the timer like that do you just set your camera down or do you have a little stand/tripod?

I tried a tripod at first, but it was just too bulky and didn't make much of a difference. Now I just set it down on a patch of sand or bare rock (not much of that at 10-Mile). I have a clipped-on weight on the housing that I can position around on the strobe arm to make the housing "sit" at the particular angle that I want for the photo.

Have you guys ever seen them around the Vancouver area before or is this a freakish invasion?

I've not seen sea nettles outside of aquariums or books. Lions manes on the other hand I have seen much closer than I ever wanted to.

I can't recall seeing one anywhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom