Nov 20 - Dec 2, 2017 Ambon - Sorong Crossing Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Finally warming into the 30s in Chicago, but reading this amazing trip report warmed my heart no matter the temperature. Hope to finalize a trip to Raja for end of the year. Thanks for posting such a wonderful report with very nice photo evidence!! Hope Palau is equally great for you.

Rob

Single engine phinisi boats are romantic until you hit a bad storm! The romance flies out of the window quickly! haha! This is especially so for Banda sea crossing trips.

It’s quite unnerving when I was thrown out of my bed, hitting a wet floor, sliding to the other end of the room (I was in the suite room that can fit 2 king size beds & 2 couches, see the picture, below) & had to hang on to one of 2 pole supports while sliding back and forth like windshield wiper, wiping the flood water off the floor. LOL

The poor guys on the lower deck cabins had a different experience. One of them telling me about the port hole window wasn’t being latched properly & ajar with a gush of sea water pouring into the room. After some effort to lock tight the port hole window, they were horrified after seeing either the blue sea or the sky out of the little port-hole windows. You just imagine the degree of the boat swing & bobbing during the bad storm with dead engine. Far from being romantic. LOL

4m1827096.jpg

It’s quite unnerving when I was thrown out of my bed, hitting a wet floor, sliding to the other end of the room (I was in the suite room that can fit 2 king size beds & 2 couches, see the picture, below) & had to hang on to one of 2 pole supports while sliding back and forth like windshield wiper, wiping the flood water off the floor. LOL

The poor guys on the lower deck cabins had a different experience. One of them telling me about the port hole window wasn’t being latched properly & ajar with a gush of sea water pouring into the room. After some effort to lock tight the port hole window, they were horrified after seeing either the blue sea or the sky out of the little port-hole windows. You just imagine the degree of the boat swing & bobbing during the bad storm with dead engine. Far from being romantic. LOL

View attachment 441774
This trip report and your description is fantastic! Have you been back on La Galigo since? I'm guessing they haven't run that trip again since? We are looking at a November North Raja Ampat trip with La Galigo in 2023.

This trip report and your description is fantastic! Have you been back on La Galigo since? I'm guessing they haven't run that trip again since? We are looking at a November North Raja Ampat trip with La Galigo in 2023.
I haven’t heard about it redoing this trip. However for RA trip, it’s a good boat with great DM & cruise director.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom