Noticeable Difference In Mosquitoes Between These Resorts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cleung

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm wondering if there are any noticeable differences in mosquitoes between these resorts - Huracan, Dive Belize Haven and Blackbird - during the months from May to November. I know that Huracan rooms are nestled inland into the jungle a bit which would likely result in the worse case in terms of mosquitoes.

I just got back from Itza (on the beach) near Hurucan. I had a good time, I will try to write a short trip report sometime soon. Bugs were only noticable right at dawn and dusk at Itza, but they did seem to be worse inland, the couple of times I passed through the Island to get the back-of-island pier.

I just got back from Itza (on the beach) near Hurucan. I had a good time, I will try to write a short trip report sometime soon. Bugs were only noticable right at dawn and dusk at Itza, but they did seem to be worse inland, the couple of times I passed through the Island to get the back-of-island pier.
Would be interesting to see how you compare Itza to Huracan

Would be interesting to see how you compare Itza to Huracan
I haven't been to Huracan, so I probably can't give a very satisfactory comparison, but I'll try to point out the things I did notice. Someday soon.

I haven't been to Huracan, so I probably can't give a very satisfactory comparison, but I'll try to point out the things I did notice. Someday soon.

i'd be interested in hearing about Itza as well.

I haven't stayed at any of the three resorts you listed. But my wife and I did stay at Turneffe Island Resort twice for a total of three weeks and it's very close to Blackbird so maybe this will help.

Like Blackbird, TIR is right on the beach. The wind was near constant and strong. No issues at all with mosquitos. But on the few occasions that the wind died down, the sand fleas were ferocious. Compared to a mosquito bite, which I often don't even feel until later. sand flea bites are painful and you'll instantly know it's happened. They often draw a little bit of blood.

So when the wind died down, we stayed inside. But it really didn't happen often, maybe three times in three weeks. We were there both times in mid-summer.

I haven't stayed at any of the three resorts you listed. But my wife and I did stay at Turneffe Island Resort twice for a total of three weeks and it's very close to Blackbird so maybe this will help.

Like Blackbird, TIR is right on the beach. The wind was near constant and strong. No issues at all with mosquitos. But on the few occasions that the wind died down, the sand fleas were ferocious. Compared to a mosquito bite, which I often don't even feel until later. sand flea bites are painful and you'll instantly know it's happened. They often draw a little bit of blood.

So when the wind died down, we stayed inside. But it really didn't happen often, maybe three times in three weeks. We were there both times in mid-summer.
Did the sand fleas get inside your cabins? Roatan supposedly has sand fleas too but I never stayed on the beach even though I had to walk through it to the dive boat and back. I did quick walks so maybe never gave them a chance to get me.

No. They stayed outside, thankfully.

I've been to Belize many times. Mosquitos on the beach never gave me any problems. They can sometimes be an issue in the jungle, however. They were especially bad at Altun-Ha when I was there. Still, I'll take a mosquito over a sand flea bite any day.

Long Caye has a fair amount of stagnant brackish water so there are quite a few mosquitoes. As has been mentioned, they only seem to be an issue right at dawn and dusk. If you are outside at those times you really need to have some spray on. Not a lot of breeze gets to the Huracan lodge. I've never noticed any bugs inside the lodge even though the back door is often left open. They would routinely burn some coils in the dinning area, which is a mostly screened in porch, not sure they were really needed however.
I've never stayed at Balckbird, but have been past it a number of times. It's fairly open and exposed to the east side so I'm sure the breezes are pretty consistent. I've found it typically means the bugs aren't bad unless you're sitting at an outdoor bar around dusk and you will want some spray on your legs/ankles. Been to TIR a number of times and that's the way it was there as well.
Been to Glovers down south (Off the Wall) a few times as well and the breeze is always good there. The rooms are open with no screens on the windows and never a bug issue.

We were at Blackbird at the end of May last year. I was bitten badly by mosquitos at dusk, while walking a very short distance from the bar to the cabin. Later, I also got bitten in the indoor dinning area at dinner time. Although we enjoyed our dives there, we do not see ourselves going back mostly due to my unpleasant experience with bugs there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom