nothern Sulawesi advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dna77054

Registered
Reaction score
Next September I will be spending 5 day in Manado at Kimo Bajo, followed by 5 days at Lembeh resort as part of a group. I am looking for suggestions for a 3-5 day add-on either at the beginning or end of my trip.

I assume the Manado based resorts will dive the same sites as the Bunaken Island based resorts.

For more diving, what would you all suggest? I am not opposed to just staying at either Lembeh or Kimo Bajo longer if either of those is the best option. I know Manado/Bunakend is reef diving and Lembeh is muck. I enjoy both. Is 5 days enough in Lembeh? Is it worth the trip to stay at Gangga Islands? Will I see things there I will not see at either of the two other resorts?

Are there any land based excursions worth the effort?

Thanks
MIke

Two thoughts, Mike ...

Bangka, 4 miles off the tip of Sulawesi, has great diving and at least three resorts. Known for soft coral, it's favored by a lot of people on here.

Buyat Bay, 50 miles SW of Lembeh, is a new area, just opening up to recreational divers, with clear water and massive hard corals. Might be a challenge finding a boat to get there, but you might scout it out if that appeals to you.

Many Lembeh junkies will tell you to spend your extra time there. For us, five days at a shot was plenty. Would we do it again? Absolutely. But we'd rather do it a bit at a time, rather than a long stay in the one place. Might work for you ... or not.

Is it worth the trip to stay at Gangga Islands?
Oh yes, for me Gangga island divers is the best resort in the area. Expensive but worth every dollar : Bangka area is VERY good diving, nearby Sahaung and Batu Mandi are the best sites for coral, they smoke Bunaken by miles, Paradise reef is awesome too, a mix of muck, pier and reef, 3 isotopes in one dive plus hot volcano springs. Gangga island resort also offer daytrips to Lembeh, so you can dive both Gangga and Lembeh area.

Personally I don't care about Bunaken.

Will be heading to Buyat Bay before Lembeh Resort (both have the same dive management) in Nov. Will report back. :wink:

Mike,
Glad you are coming to North Sulawesi , if you are interested- have a look at our website- Manado Safari Tours North Sulawesi: Discount Hotel & Scuba Diving Packages Bunaken & Lembeh for diving as well as other options for possible some soft adventure options- Culture & Adventure Tours in North Sulawesi with Manado Safari Tours, if we can assist drop us a line- JHB

I was just going to recommend using Safari tours for your N/Sulawesi trip. Jeremy and his team are doing a great work in Manado (on top of providing the best prices in the area :eyebrow: ).

No relationship to his business, just a satisfied customer report. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom