Not sure what type to go to?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

big.scuba.john

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After 10 years and maybe 600 to 700 dives, it is time to get a new BC. Now I have never dove with a weight integration system before, and the more I look at all the BC's on the market I am not sure what I want to go to? The first question is Back inflate or jacket, I have always had a jacket, as what do the back inflate have over the jackets?

So from looking at your few posts, one might assume you are an lds owner or employee and you are working on your instructor cert. Does your shop do retail?

My advise would be to try out the gear your peers are using. More specifically the gear similar divers to you are using. Will you be teaching divers after becoming an instructor? What gear will the students be in?

I teach in a vest BC; nearly the same style to what most of my diving has been in, same style as I became an instructor in, same style as most of my students use. I guide in a back inflate, but I got it for dirt cheap so If I had hated the BI it would not have mattered. I do find that my BI is not as easy to dive well in compared to my vest; but my slate attached elegantly. :)

There are two advantages to back inflate BCs over jackets (although "advantage" may not be the right word, if these things don't matter to you). One is that you aren't squeezed by the inflated bladder, since it sits behind you, and the other is that it makes the front of your body less cluttered.

If you are properly weighted, then while you are actually diving, all the air in your BC is up behind you, anyway. But at the surface, when you overinflate the BC to be buoyant, some people find the squeeze of a jacket to be uncomfortable.

Personally, I don't like them, and the "stuff" on the front of me would make me crazy. But there are plenty of people who aren't bothered by that.

Back inflation BC's are also more streamlined (less drag) and generally lighter.

For starters, I think that you'll find the WI to be so much more comfortable. These days, Back Inflation BC's and particularly BP & Harness style are the most popular choice that divers go with. I believe this is primarily because of the Control & Comfort that it brings to you in the water. You can find lot's of posts on this subject.

If you look at annual sales of BC's in the USA I believe you would be hard pressed to show 4% sales of Back Inflate and BP/W combined. Those numbers do not back up the statement "These days, Back Inflation BC's and particularly BP & Harness style are the most popular choice that divers go with." I believe this is primarily because many, many ScubaBoard Vest BC users are tired of the mostly internet controversy that this subject is, so they don't join the discussions anymore. You can definitely find a lot of loud posts on this subject.

Zeagle Rangers are nice. Back inflate with lots of options (back weight pockets, zip pockets and holders for spare air or redundant 11 cu, adjustable so you can tweak it to your comfort, plenty of D rings, double tank straps, octo z available, easy to clean bladder with screw on attachment with hose, integrated weight pouches). I think they are very comfortable.

One real pool dive is worth at least 417.36 BC versus BP/wing 'posts' !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom