Not sure if this is a reverse block

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like you didn’t equalise when you went back down, not a reverse block, which is when you can’t equalise in the way up. Your buddy did good taking you up slow so things didn’t get worse.

If the pain is still there go see a doctor and make sure everything is ok.

Bob

As others have said, it’s a sinus squeeze, not a reverse block. They can be super painful. I’ve had issues with my sinuses, and even gotten a sinus squeeze during airplane descent. It’s a fairly common problem, you can search it, for pilots that have issues with sinuses they’ll do surgery for it.

For me, I’ve found a couple things help. 1) Neilmed sinus rinse. It’s great, about a week or two before a dive trip I start finding twice a day. Makes a big difference. 2) take Sudafed. Since you can’t clear your sinuses yourself, you need them to be open. If you’re feeling sick, you shouldn’t use Sudafed to make diving an option when it otherwise wouldn’t be; that’s just asking for a reverse block. But to prevent sinus squeeze it helps. 3) watch out for the specific profile you discussed here. After ascending, try not to do a quick repeated descent. I’ll start to feel the pain prickling above my eyebrow and know I need to slow down my descent. Also, I think a head down position makes it worse.

My two cents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom