Not servicing my gear EVER!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That must have been a very old reg because all the companies went to seperate port thread sizes a long time ago to prevent that very thing from happening.

I believe it was an old reg. Other more seasoned divers/instructors there seemed to know more about same thread issues (it happened in 2000) and mentioned that it couldn't happen with the newer regs.

That must have been a very old reg because all the companies went to seperate port thread sizes a long time ago to prevent that very thing from happening.

i have and use both a mk3 and a mk 5 with the old 3/8th hp port. with updated yokes and turrets, they may surprise you.

I service my gear very sporadically. Have had two first stages blow on me (one rental, one mine). The piston o-ring failed. I just sent two of my Scubapro Mk10s in for what appears to be failing piston o-rings. I dive with redundancy so a failure at the depths I'm diving these days is not a problem. However, the first reg failure (the rental kit) failed on a 100 ft dive. Fortunately we were early into the dive and did a controlled ascent, swapped out the reg and returned to depth. You might not be so lucky, especially if you have no redundancy. I also have six regs, so servicing a few when needed is not a problem.

This has been a great thread despite what some have said. Clearly some very experienced divers expressing their opinions believe - and I agree - that being able to test/inspect your regs is a) important and b) easy and that servicing based upon these criteria is more important than an arbitrary annual service.

Secondly - and again I agree - serious failure after a service is a real possibility and do not be blind to that.

As always, life is nuanced.

Unserviced regs with ignorance presents risks.

Serviced regs with ignorance presents risks. And possibly additional ones.

The links others quoted are ABSOLUTELY worth reading for all divers. Basic inspection, including IP testing and crack pressure testing are extremely simple and inexpensive. There's not a lot of excuse to be comfortable with this.

Anyhow dive safe. And get yourself an IP gauge.

If you never take your regulator and octopus to a scuba shop for service, it will stop working properly. The worst thing that could happen is the regulator malfunctioning while you are diving. Over time, as with almost anything parts ware out. If you don't get those parts repaired, you won't be able to breathe through the regulator.

If you never take your regulator and octopus to a scuba shop for service, it will stop working properly. The worst thing that could happen is the regulator malfunctioning while you are diving. Over time, as with almost anything parts ware out. If you don't get those parts repaired, you won't be able to breathe through the regulator.

Thats the thing like a car or a bike or anything ever it fails gradually. You hear a weird sound in a car and get it checked. Same with regs. Free flow, hard to suck...these problems come slowly over time. Easy to breath then hard to breath. But its not one easy breath and then zero air. maybe that happens with oceanic or zeagle or mares regs. But come on guys im diving Atomic Aquatics and before AA there was no best in diving. I just bought a second set of USED regs AA of course and the guy said he hadnt serviced them in 7 years. Took it to my LDS to get it checked and the tech said they were good for diving no service needed.

SO yeah get your regs checked if your buying all these garbage brands like mares cressi tusa blah blah blah but if you get even a Z2 you can easily not service it for 10-15 years. if you buy a T2 then you never have to service period. These are facts guys. Lets get real already.

Thats the thing like a car or a bike or anything ever it fails gradually. You hear a weird sound in a car and get it checked. Same with regs. Free flow, hard to suck...these problems come slowly over time. Easy to breath then hard to breath. But its not one easy breath and then zero air. maybe that happens with oceanic or zeagle or mares regs. But come on guys im diving Atomic Aquatics and before AA there was no best in diving. I just bought a second set of USED regs AA of course and the guy said he hadnt serviced them in 7 years. Took it to my LDS to get it checked and the tech said they were good for diving no service needed.

SO yeah get your regs checked if your buying all these garbage brands like mares cressi tusa blah blah blah but if you get even a Z2 you can easily not service it for 10-15 years. if you buy a T2 then you never have to service period. These are facts guys. Lets get real already.

I've only had one real issue with a reg and it was a new Atomic. To say/imply that regs including Zeagle, oceanic and mares regs are garbage is simply not true. How many of these regs have you actually had any experience with? What evidence can you provide to support your assertion, I'd honestly be interested to know. I've only ever heard good things about Zeagle, and oceanic and mares regs are very popular and I've not seen an unusual amount of complaints about any of them, no more than Atomic anyway.

Last edited:
Ok to put this thread in better context, would someone give a price range for service of regulators? I still rent, but am anticipating buying a reg next. I have been reading some of this thread very carefully but, I started loosing focus and started scanning about page 8 and I realized no one mentioned this figure.

Even if it is specific regulator model dependent or geographically dependent lets here some numbers?

DK

Ok to put this thread in better context, would someone give a price range for service of regulators? I still rent, but am anticipating buying a reg next. I have been reading some of this thread very carefully but, I started loosing focus and started scanning about page 8 and I realized no one mentioned this figure.

Even if it is specific regulator model dependent or geographically dependent lets here some numbers?

DK

A good baseline: Scuba Regulator Repair - Scuba Annual Service

Call your local service providers and see what they are charging.

Back
Top Bottom