Not looking for a freediving partner!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MauiScubaSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
The freedive partner I'm not looking for would have to find me, and she would need to hang in the current while we shoot pics of wildlife and each other! Fearless, photographic and photogenic. Mother's Day was a family affair, for this squadron of spotted eagle rays in Makena.

FullSquadron.jpg

Always get a group shot in case they bolt!

Close_Squadron.jpg

If things go right they don't bolt!​

The years of sneaking up on marine life with open circuit scuba have also improved my breath hold experience, as this wing allowed me to join them for nearly an hour (22 pics). The current was so strong there was very little rest on the surface, so I had to leave before the show was over, but I was allowed to fly in formation before saying aloha!

UpsidedownCamera.jpg

I may have to go back again today!​

Very cool shots! I hope to see some of those in Kauai this July.

Great shots!

Out freediving myself the other day with my scooter and I noticed how much closer I could get to an Eagle ray that was swimming below me. Even though the scooter makes noise, it's not near what bubbles make.

Thanks for sharing.

Aloha, Tim

Great shots!

Out freediving myself the other day with my scooter and I noticed how much closer I could get to an Eagle ray that was swimming below me. Even though the scooter makes noise, it's not near what bubbles make.

Thanks for sharing.

Aloha, Tim

On a quasi related note, have you tried Monkey Diving yet? I am itching to try it.

On a quasi related note, have you tried Monkey Diving yet? I am itching to try it.

About 200 times now :wink: It's a blast! For the past few months I've been diving this way at work. Kind of halfway between freediving and Scuba.

haha awesome! So no wing, slung 80? I'm so going to try this.

Makes for a very compelling rebreather argument!!!!!

My Dolphin instructor was a stickler for standards, and did not let me take a camera on my final dive of certification. We were diving some spur and grove reef off Key Largo, with one task controlling buoyancy on a sawtooth profile. As I rose up out of a sand channel a squadron of 7 or more split to go on either side of me, with one hopping over my small bubbles; stunning! Larry comes up behind me exhaling on OC and they scattered like rats from a gunshot!

Did 16 mostly solo rebreather dives over the next week, but never saw the squadron again. :shakehead:

The other critters were much more approachable though!

Whoa Braa,
Let's see where was I? So cool I'm totally green. Great phptos of course Halemano. Let's go diving soon.
aloha JB

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom