Not just a smaller mask...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RobinG

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've read all the posts about masks for smaller faces, but haven't seen my issue. I have a narrow and small face, so smaller mask for sure. But paradoxically, I am also fluffy, so when I have a reg in, my cheeks break the seal. Also happens when I smile underwater! I bought two small/junior masks but they fog constantly. The IST works better than the Cressi but both have the issue.

What I need is a mask where the skirt doesn't really go below my nose line. Not sure if a) it's possible or b) available. There is so little real estate between the bottom of my nose and the top of my lip that most skirts get pushed up. And then there's that whole chipmunk cheek thing.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

The Aqualung micromask has the shortest skirt of any mask I know. It may solve your need for min distance below your nose. Micromask - Aqua Lung US - Recreational and Professional Scuba Diving Gear

Unfortunately, the smile lines issue is a tougher problem to solve. Frankly, the best advice I have given my students there, is to make a conscious effort to "go Zen" and not bunch up your cheek muscles as you dive. That tends to smooth out the groove where the mask breaks a seal.
Sometimes it helps to have a longer skirt that covers the upper lip area below the smile crease, but it sounds like that won't work for you.

But keep looking! I went through eight masks before I settled on my two favorites. There are so many designs out there that trial and error is probably better (albeit more expensive) than any advice.

Good luck!

The Aqualung micromask has the shortest skirt of any mask I know. It may solve your need for min distance below your nose. Micromask - Aqua Lung US - Recreational and Professional Scuba Diving Gear

Unfortunately, the smile lines issue is a tougher problem to solve. Frankly, the best advice I have given my students there, is to make a conscious effort to "go Zen" and not bunch up your cheek muscles as you dive. That tends to smooth out the groove where the mask breaks a seal.
Sometimes it helps to have a longer skirt that covers the upper lip area below the smile crease, but it sounds like that won't work for you.

But keep looking! I went through eight masks before I settled on my two favorites. There are so many designs out there that trial and error is probably better (albeit more expensive) than any advice.

Good luck!

I have very deep smile lines in my chubby cheeks! I had to go through 17 masks and 17 was the charm! Many masks have short skirts which caused my mask to flood like it was imitating the Titanic! I was finally loaned a ScubaPro mask with a longer skirt and wow! That did the trick for me.

I have very deep smile lines in my chubby cheeks! I had to go through 17 masks and 17 was the charm! Many masks have short skirts which caused my mask to flood like it was imitating the Titanic! I was finally loaned a ScubaPro mask with a longer skirt and wow! That did the trick for me.

What scubapro mask?

Take a look at the MAKO mini mask. you will love it and it will fit and will not leak... or I will take it back.. on my dime.

Not a whole lot to loose and the MAKO direct price may surprise you. 3 color options as well!

thanks

Dano

Minimus Mini Freedive Mask | MAKO Spearguns

MMM-2T.jpg

Why not go with a mask with a purge valve? Just look down and gently blow through your nose.

What scubapro mask?

Synergy Twin Tru fit is I believe the complete name. The tru fit Synergy has been discontinued but I was told to keep the loaner and I found another one used online. ScubaPro has an updated model. Forget the name. But you want the one with tru fit. They do something to their mask skirts that did the trick for me. A mask that fits and doesn’t flood (much) is worth every freakin’ penny you spend on it.

I have the same problem with not much area between nose and lip and deep smile lines ... and smaller face. I have had the best luck with the Tusa Ceos mask (the Geminus mask was the predecessor and I also had good luck with that but had prescription change, kept Geminus as backup and got new Ceos). No problem with fogging and the mask skirt is very comfortable. In the past I also tried burt's bees chapstick or regular chapstick or vasoline on my laugh "trenches" and on my temples for better mask fit ... I don't have to do that with the Tusa Ceos. I tried a lot of masks before having success with the Tusa masks. Good luck ... know how frustrating it is!

Hi RobinG

I havea narrow face and had often used kids masks but then I found the Tusa Platina and all was right with the world! I also bought the Aqua Lung Linea when that first came out and its also great as its all in one with the skirt so flexible and comfortable... never have leaks. The Aqua Lung Micro is also pretty good fit but the extreme low volume and closeness of the lens to my eyes just didn;t feel right. (Profile pic is with the platina)

As for fogging clean your mask really well ( it can take several times with toothpaste, Dawn, some even burn it clean), then remember the mask snot must go in a dry mask, rinse lightly just before diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom