"Not just a dust cap" cap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was also common to place a washer on top of the stopper the spread the force from the yoke, it will generally imbed itself into the rubber. The rubber caps from Atomic are nice as well as the deep 6 one but the witches hat (I always called them aqualung type) are great too.

I like the solid rubber dust caps that came with Dacor and ScubaPro (not the ball.) Too many times I blew the baby out with the bath water whilst drying the witch's cap type. Dacor is no longer around and, SP in their infinite wisdom, went to a reservoir instead of a plug; therefore I purchased a handful of these Scuba Diving Dive Dust Cap Regulator First Stage YOKE | eBay a couple of months ago.

.......Amazon. A pound of #4 stoppers for $10

But I love this idea. A groove around the middle and a short piece of string seals the deal.

Last edited:
The ball type ones they come with Apeks regs are nice too, although I imagine being Apeks they are not cheap. They do work well.

I never ever put my reg under water unpressurized.
As far as I am concern, "dust cap" means keeping dust away, water is something else.

I never ever put my reg under water unpressurized.
As far as I am concern, "dust cap" means keeping dust away, water is something else.

I rarely have the luxury of soaking my regs pressurized and in coming on 18 years of diving I've never had water enter my first stage regardless of brand. In my experience they are in fact "water caps". It seems to me the term "dust cap" might be more about ass covering.

Last edited:
I rarely have the my luxury of soaking my regs pressurized and in coming on 18 years of diving I've had water enter my first stage regardless of brand. In my experience they are in fact "water caps". It seems to me the term "dust cap" might be more about ass covering.
Well, Simon, @northernone really seems to have the touch! No water at 145', unpressurized? And a 2-hour dive? Impressive. I'm going to "put a cork in it" and give it a try. :outtahere:

in coming on 18 years of diving I've had water enter my first stage regardless of brand.

You mean: "I've NEVER had..."?

I soak my regulators for hours in fresh water and I have never had water enter the first stage as far as I can remember. The only time water would go in is if the dust cap wasn't replaced or it wasn't replaced properly.

In over 45 years I can’t recall ever having a “dust cap” leak. I have mostly used the witches hat style, but I have tried a few others (like the Scubapro ball). I have ran into some witches hats that were cracked or had bad or missing O-rings, but always replaced them before they leaked.

We didn’t always soaked our gear. In the 70’s and 80’s we used to hose it all down, but I always used the hose water pressure to try to get into every tight corner of the regulator.

The only time I have actually submerged an unpressurised fist stage was playing around with a Royal Aqua Master double hose and using it as a traditional vintage hookah regulator. I capped the first stage inlet port with a “dust cap” and fed IP into the second stage via the hookah port. I was only playing/ trying it out so I think that my max depth was about 20 to 25 feet deep. Again there was no leak.

Actually in this configuration the first stage was probably pressurized to the IP pressure, back fed from the IP chamber. It is hard to tell how soon the HP diaphragm deflected and closed the first stage valve. Whatever pressure was inside the first stage was also sealed by the dust cap in the same fashion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom