Not enough buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In your video you're wearing very little if any neoprene and the ascent is through a short depth column. It's very different for someone dropping weights at say 90 feet and wearing a thick neoprene suit. It would be very hard to control such an ascent.

I wear a 7mm farmer john and when abalone diving I wear 27# of lead which makes me neutral at around 35', if I dropped the belt below that depth I would have to kick up in order to get to the surface. Granted the trip up gets quick if you don't flare out or kick down to slow yourself, but it is not unmanageable.

When SCUBA diving I wear between 12 and 18# on my belt so, with an empty BC, I would have to kick up a ways before I get a free ride. If you have a working BC, you should not drop your weights while submerged. If I did, DD covered above, control the ascent with the BC until it is empty then flair out for the rest of the trip, probably the last 20'.

Bob
----------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom