Not another light thread! for caribbean night dives...???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been searching the boards for awhile now trying to figure out what lights would work for me, and so I thought I would just post and I hope no one gets mad. I have been searching and actually reading! I promise.

What I want:

handheld lightweight light for night dives in the clear Caribbean (actually two) - not too bright with a wide angle
something that would work with a goodman hand strap
decided against getting a DRIS 1000 and trying to figure out a homemade diffuser
reliable super important
doesn't drain batteries would also be great
doesn't take weird batteries I won't be able to find easily
Under $75 per light would be nice

I have been reading reviews and posts for too long now and can't find a consensus for my mind!

Thinking about ( but would take further suggestions) Underwater Kinetics SL4 LED (not sure if this works with hand strap, though), Dorcy 220, Piranha 150 or 220

Thank you to all who can give me feedback or just plain hold their tongue if they can't handle another light thread! LOL

It's out of your price range but I strongly recommend investing in an LED rechargeable light, you can get some for $100 but they go up from there.

I used to have a Princeton Tec light and it lasted me about a year before the bulb started going out. That little small hand held one in the package is total crap and isnt worth your money. The tank light is nice but nothing that a $3 chem light couldnt do. Ive used the Princeton Tec for awhile and I was pretty disappointed by it. it's big, heavy and wasnt all that bright. Plus the lights add a "yellow" color which isnt all that great.

I was recently in the same predicament as you and wanted to upgrade lights. I asked my buddy who has been running his own shop for 20 years. He told me to avoid UK lights like the plague. They're super bright, he said, but they last you about 2 or 3 dives before you have to change batteries. And with those kind of batteries, you're looking at $20 per battery change. I knew I wanted LED because it gives a nice true white light and they last much, much longer.

My search stopped with SOLA by "Light and Motion." I ended up getting the SOLA 2000 which is way out of your price range but I do a lot of video stuff and was looking for a bright light. SOLA also makes a 500 lumen (still, really bright! - i think the Princeton Tec was 100) and its more affordable (around the $250-300 range). SOLA lights are sealed so they can never flood on you, they have gold alloy wet contact plates so I can literally plug it in while it is still dripping wet, you can change the brightness (small, medium, high) and the angle (narrow beam vs. wide beam), plus it comes with an SOS signal. LIGHT & MOTION || SOLA Dive Lights

What I really love about SOLAs are the accessories and possibilities. If you want it hand-held, they have a grip for that. If you want a hand-wrap (my preference), they have a grip for that. If I wanted to mount it to a video frame, they have an option for that!

Trust me on this one friend, when I want to buy something...I do A LOT of research first. Im not sponsored by SOLA, I'm just a super happy customer. My logic was, why not get a light that is going to last me for years? Plus it will save you money on batteries :wink:

Diverjen, I bought the BigBlue CF 250 specifically for my last trip to Bonaire. The light, especially the newest version is tiny! And it does seem well made.

But to confuse things more: I did not find it bright enough and I could not figure out a way to secure the light in the goodman and adjust the beam. At tight focus, the light was plenty bright but when I widened the beam, the light was too washed out for me. So I am back to shopping again.

Diverjen, I bought the BigBlue CF 250 specifically for my last trip to Bonaire. The light, especially the newest version is tiny! And it does seem well made.

But to confuse things more: I did not find it bright enough and I could not figure out a way to secure the light in the goodman and adjust the beam. At tight focus, the light was plenty bright but when I widened the beam, the light was too washed out for me. So I am back to shopping again.

was it too washed out at each part turn? Or just washed out at the full 31 degrees? I find, assuming the water is clear, around 20 degrees is nice if diving along a wall or reef. I'm a little surprised at 250 lumens I would have thought it would have thrown enough light even at 31. Bummer.

was it too washed out at each part turn? Or just washed out at the full 31 degrees? I find, assuming the water is clear, around 20 degrees is nice if diving along a wall or reef. I'm a little surprised at 250 lumens I would have thought it would have thrown enough light even at 31. Bummer.

I'd estimate that it started at about 20 degrees.

I have since looked on line at the UK Aqualite Led light with the 65 degree angle and variable light at four levels to 600 lumen. But it is significantly more expensive. Anyone with experience with this light?

I'd estimate that it started at about 20 degrees.

I have since looked on line at the UK Aqualite Led light with the 65 degree angle and variable light at four levels to 600 lumen. But it is significantly more expensive. Anyone with experience with this light?

thanks for the reply. 65 degrees sounds more like a video light, but maybe at full power at 600 lumens it might be ok. It would not be so good for day use, and would be hopeless in low viz.

You are right. It is advertised as a video light but comes with the option of three different beam angles. The 20 degree may be a better option for night dives. My uncertainty is one reason I have not ordered it. I do like the idea of 4 power levels.

And my intended use for it is tropical night dives. If the viz is low, I'm probably not diving that night.

edit: the CF 250 in tight focus, say 20 or less, was quite bright.

You are right. It is advertised as a video light but comes with the option of three different beam angles. The 20 degree may be a better option for night dives. My uncertainty is one reason I have not ordered it. I do like the idea of 4 power levels.

And my intended use for it is tropical night dives. If the viz is low, I'm probably not diving that night.

edit: the CF 250 in tight focus, say 20 or less, was quite bright.

Agree 20 degrees would probably be best, 600 lumens IMO is way too bright for tropical night diving it will of course simply scare everything away but you mention it has several output options. I find less is more, personally I use a light with similar specs to the CF250 and have found at 25 degrees its perfect for reef/wall night diving, I'm not trying to turn night into day lol. Good luck with your search.

Back
Top Bottom