Not all jetfins are the same?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eelnoraa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been using a pair of jetfins for 2 years. Today I dived with a few other jetfins divers. I found quite significant difference between mine and theirs: 1)Size. We all have XL, but mine is about 1/2" longer than theirs overall length wise. 2)Material. Mine is rubber like, a bit softer and more flexible. Theirs are stiffer, a little monoprene like (Think OMS slipstream). 3) Shape. Mine is flatter. The angel from foot pocket to the fin blade is larger on theirs.

Based on condition, I think theirs are newer. So did SP change the jetfin design recently?

Now, move onto size L jetfins. A fellow diver gave me a pair today. To my surprise, they are very small. I have used size L jetfins before, I remember think they are about the same size as OMS slipstream size L. But this L jets are much smaller. I can barely put them on. So what is the deal here, how many generation of Jets are out there? how are they different?

Look on the bottom and see if they are USA made. As far as I know there are the pre-lightning bolts:

69229C754DA54EC48C4C7D323A225652.jpg

And the current lightening bolt:

5610_1.jpg

There were some made very early by Beauchat. Even with a full foot pocket:

4D18E1B0F29446988A5C7376BBE2989F.jpg

And of course colors:

PA030589_zpsd146089f.jpg

N

Did you happen to note where they were made? There was a thread a while back (which I cannot find now) saying Scubapro moved production from the US to Asia and that the quality changed.

Did you happen to note where they were made? There was a thread a while back (which I cannot find now) saying Scubapro moved production from the US to Asia and that the quality changed.

Yes I had a thread running a while back after discovering my jets were made in Taiwan and being told by Scuba-pro that they were identical to US jets, they lied or were mistaken. The compound was significantly softer and he foot pocket was wider. With no assistance from Scubapro eventually managed to get the shop to take them back, got a refund and bought some USA jets.

Yes I had a thread running a while back after discovering my jets were made in Taiwan and being told by Scuba-pro that they were identical to US jets, they lied or were mistaken. The compound was significantly softer and he foot pocket was wider. With no assistance from Scubapro eventually managed to get the shop to take them back, got a refund and bought some USA jets.

I just checked, both my L and XL jets says Made in USA. They feels like rubber and more flexible, wider foot pockets too. The stiffer one that feel like Monoprene are made in Taiwan.

I just checked, both my L and XL jets says Made in USA. They feels like rubber and more flexible, wider foot pockets too. The stiffer one that feel like Monoprene are made in Taiwan.

Mystery solved. Scubapro makes some really odd decisions sometimes. Some people love the rubber Jet and some people love the OMS Slipstream fins. Why Scubapro did not add a monoprene Jet fin to their lineup along with their rubber Jet is beyond me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom