Not a Sea-Hunter but love the gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You will probably want to start with an Aquamaster of some sort. I would look for a DA Aquamaster. They are constantly popping up on ebay, and generally run about $100 when the bidding dust settles. Eventually, you'll be able to get a Phoenix nozzle for it, and it will perform like any nice modern regulator. My current collection are DAs and a pair of Healthways single stage regs. I've rebuilt 3 of the 4, and they all breathe nicely now. It's mostly a comfort thing. Be prepared to spend some quality time in the pool, getting to know the gear. A Royal Aquamaster is also pretty easy to find. Both VDH and VSS currently have several regs for sale. If money is not a problem, I would start off buying one of theirs. You'll get a good reg rebuilt and tuned by an expert.

Novice, you need to decide whether you are a diver or a collector. From a SCUBA point of view, the centerpiece is the demand regulator. Although this device will be by definition, "vintage", some vintage regulators are quite modern in design. The most prominent two hose regulator with good parts support is the US Divers Royal Aqua Master. The balanced first stage of this device is very similar to the US Divers Conshelf and other single hose regulators. This was by intention as the Royal Aquamaster first stage was/is a flagship product for the company. Take your time and look for a clean regulator which was used in fresh water, or not used at all. Look for regulators from Wisconsin and Michigan. The climate is cold there and the hoses will still be like new. Given proper tuning, the Royal regulator will be easier to "breath" than you might imagine. Don't worry about accessories at this point. When the regulator is working to your satisfaction you may wish to purchase a tongue adapter ("banjo"). The best are from VDH, stainless steel, the purpose of which is to attach an SPG. Down the road, you might want to play with your regulator, turn it into a Christmas tree so to speak. Very soon, the vintage underground will be selling a replacement first stage which has hook ups for LP and HP but don't worry about that now. Start searching young man, and good luck.

pescador775:
Very soon, the vintage underground will be selling a replacement first stage which has hook ups for LP and HP but don't worry about that now.

I like that. :wink:

captain:
The double hose regulator the Navy uses is the Mentor. It is made by Aqua Lung under a spcial contract for the Navy and is not available to civilians. The Navy uses it to prepare divers for rebreathers.

The other double hose open circuit regulator the Navy uses is the Nemrod Snark III Silver (Up until at least around the turn of the century. They may still be using them.) If you can find it listed in your area, you might like to watch or record "Navy SEALs Training: BUD/s Class 234 - 'The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday'" on the Discovery Channel this Friday. It's original airdate was June 30, 2002 for reference. J-valve manifolded double tanks with no SPG.
The Nemrod Snark III Silver can be found on eBay and usually goes for under $200. A MIB one just recently went for $400. I don't have one, but I would imagine that parts for it may not be too easy to find. The mouthpieces are available through Dan at the VSS link already provided by someone else.

novicediver:
I grew up watching "Flipper", solely for the underwater scenes and I can't remember if they dove double hose or not. I do remember the gear being those yellow tanks, oval, masks, no BC or wet suit.

Nemrod:
I loved Flipper also as a child.

novicediver, Nemrod, and anyone else who loved seeing the vintage diving in "Flipper", please help try to get that series on DVD by contacting MGM and telling them that you enjoyed the show and would like to see it released on DVD. It would only take a minute. The quick link is:

http://www.mgm.com/help.do

I don't know if MGM has the rights to the show or if they can get the rights to it, but every vote counts. Thanks.

The Vintage Underground!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I love that, we are an underground, we swim out on the edge of visibility, our knives like Samauri swords are weapons, not tools, our regulators are double hose and we don't need a BC life jacket because we swim three dimensionally in total control and harmony with our watery domain, we are FROGMEN.

Oh, I second the advice on a good DA or Royal Aqua Master or similar Voit model. People probably tire of me going on about the Royal Aqua Master but it was and is as Pescador states, their flagship. U.S. Divers is long gone but their flagship remains, the heavy weight champ, the one and only Royal Aqua Master and with the support from other underground divers and VSS and VDH and folks like Luis who actually design improved parts we are in the midst of a rebirth in traditional diving equipment and techniques.

Anyone show up at a vintage dive ralley with a blunt tip knife it better have been broken off in a shark's hide---lol--uh--I am probably kidding--I think. N

novicediver:
Yeah, I know, there is a shop here in town where the tech likes to collect vintage gear for his own use. He said when I find a reg that he will service it and then get in the pool with me. It doesn't look hard just different and have to throw away habits with traditional gear.

When your tech services your double hose, ask him to let you watch. Although you may not want to service your gear completely, it helps to know how the thing works. Plus you'll need to take it apart just to change out the duckbill. The regs mentioned are very simple in design, and easy to work on. But do yourself a favor & get the reproduction band clamp from VDH. The clips around the can are a real PITA.

You know how long it took me to dump that stuff. Dumped my last 72 last year. Still have an old 72 inverted backpack out there.

Anyone have episodes of Sea Hunt they would like to trade. I have about 100, a few Primus

Back
Top Bottom