Not a Dive Related thread - but an important message

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

martinjc

Contributor
Reaction score
King and Lady - please feel free to move this to a more appropriate location - but this seemd to be the right place. I sent this e-mail note out two days ago to my family and friends - and as it the incident touched me so deeply - I thought I would share it with everyone here as well. Thanks!!

As I sat and watched events unfold last week, and the heroic deeds and sacrifices of the emergency personnel who responded to this horrific tragedy, I made a silent promise to myself to thank every police officer and fire fighter I came in contact with for their constant vigilance, dedication and self sacrifice. These men and women certainly don't serve in these roles for the money or recognition - it is something intrinsically heroic that drives them to do what they do so well whenever they are called to serve.

Today as I was waiting in line to pick up lunch - I turned to see a young Columbus police officer standing behind me. I thought, here is your first chance to make good on that promise, but for some reason I stayed silent. Just standing there in line..thinking...I don't know if I was embarrassed, or afraid I would embarrass the officer, or that my words of thanks just wouldn't be enough somehow. Scenes played in my head of this young man joking with his comrades at shift change about this bumbling idiot trying to say thank you without any real concept of what their experience was like. As I went to fill my drink at the soda fountain, I watched as he carried his lunch to a small table, and a sudden resolve came over me. How could I even think to make excuses to avoid some potential small embarrassment on my part - given all I had seen in the last week?

I walked up to the officer and said, "I know this may sound kind of strange, but I just wanted to say thank you." He looked confused and said, "What for?"
I told him that after seeing everything police and fire fighters have done over the past week, I had made a promise to myself to personally thank every one of them I meet for everything they do for us. He paused for a second, smiled and with barley concealed emotion in his voice said quietly, "Thank you."

As I walked back to my office, with tears in my eyes, I felt an amazing sense of calm and well being, and a hope that in some small way, even for the briefest of moments, I may have eased the burden of duty he carries with him each day.

I wanted to convey this episode to my close friends and family in hopes to start a ground-swell of personal thanks for all emergency service personnel. Please forward this note to your friends and family. As you travel through each day - and happen upon a fire fighter or police officer - please consider taking the time just to say a simple thank you. It doesn't take much time, and doesn't seem like much -- but it can have such an impact on those that willingly put their lives on the line each day for their fellow human beings.

Thank you!

Jim

Jim,

I think you're right on the money with your suggestion and I hope to put it into practice too. With terrorism at home, the police and firefighters have become our frontline defense and we owe them the treatment we normally reserve for active members of the armed forces. I imagine we have a number of divers on this board who are also current law enforcement/rescue officers. My thanks goes out to them.

-Brady

Cops and Firefighters live with horror day in and day out. Although the WTC attack has raised our awareness, I think we still can't understand what they are going through both in NYC and everyday in our communities.

A simple thank you seems; well simple. But it means so much to these heroes.

Jim, thanks for reminding all of us about this.

Jim, you did the right thing and we should all do things like this more, not just for the people in NY, but for public servents everywhere. My other favorite thing, football, has addressed this. My hope is that other organizations will follow. I am not very good at using a computer, so I hope this works, if not could one of you computer gurus please fix this hyper-link.

Click here: Seattle Seahawks - Press Box

If it doesn't work - try http://www.seahawks.com - pressbox.

Later, Hawk. (btw I am not the hawk on that message board if anyone goes there.)

Proud of you martinjc...

We tend to forget about firefighters and the police unless a couple of things happen, a lot of people complain about the police for things like speeding tickets, and people tend to just forget about firefighters. It is unfortunate times like these that make everyone realize that these people place themselves in danger on a daily basis, and that they are seldom thanked.

90% boredom + 10% sheer terror = the life of those who protect us.

Add another story I heard on the radio the other day.
They were interviewing a flag maker in Tampa, Fl. He was explaining how they were swamped with orders and working a 24x7 schedule to keep up with demands. Most of the phone orders coming in were put on back order except for one. An elderly lady called in to order a flag, and she told them that her husband was killed in Pearl Harbor, and now her son was killed at the WTC. They shipped her a flag right away, free of charge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom