Northern NY diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lmghsowl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey,

I got my OW certification about a year ago. I'm a student in Potsdam, NY and are looking to dive a couple of times this summer. I'm willing to travel some (3-4 hr) to get to dive locations especially if it turns into a dive weekend. Are there any dive shops within that distance that I could hook up with as far as weekend trip and renting gear? I'm not overly familiar with this area as far as diving goes.

I beleive Hunt's Dive Shop in Alexandria Bay rents gear (I know they rent tanks, not sure about the other stuff).

There's a nice easy shore dive behind the hospital in A-Bay called The Islander.

On the US side, Hunts runs trips on the river pretty much all summer.

Sometimes he goes to The Keystorm, which is a nice wreck and not difficult, although a little deep if you don't stay near the top. It runs from around 50' (approx) to 100'.

Terry

lmghsowl:
Hey,

I got my OW certification about a year ago. I'm a student in Potsdam, NY and are looking to dive a couple of times this summer. I'm willing to travel some (3-4 hr) to get to dive locations especially if it turns into a dive weekend. Are there any dive shops within that distance that I could hook up with as far as weekend trip and renting gear? I'm not overly familiar with this area as far as diving goes.

Web Monkey:
Sometimes he goes to The Keystorm, which is a nice wreck and not difficult, although a little deep if you don't stay near the top. It runs from around 50' (approx) to 100'.

Terry

The keystorm is a great multilevel dive. The sand runs from 120' to 50', but the port side runs from like 15'-20' down to about 90'. So, basically, anyone can dive it.

Immediately over the border in Canada, at the Ogdensburg bridge crossing, there's a scuba park, plus the Connie and Rothesay wrecks. The Connie is just a short ways east after going over the bridge, an easy shore dive. The Rothesay is just a short distance west of the crossing, also a shore dive though you have to get there via ropes on the bottom (it's a fair ways out, and there's normally some current, though it's not deep).

There is the Radeau, and an area called The class room, a protected underwater area with several small revolutionary war boats, and an island called Diamond Island because of the Herkimer Diamonds, several rock ledges. Depth range from 30' to 130'+. Also lots of great camping and boating. Morin`s SCUBA Center http://www.morinsdivecenters.com/frame.htm is the best place for info and charters on Lake George and some sites in Vermont and on Lake Champlain also.

I live in the albany area and there really isnt a whole lot of diving. Lake george and then a quarry up in VT. Unless I'm going to the ocean I almost always go to the portland quarry. If anyones in the albany area though and wanted to dive lake george or whatever I'd definitely be up for it.

I've looked at the Hunt's dive shop page and attempting to e-mail them. Unfortunately the e-mail address isn't correct or isn't working. Any idea of another way to possibly contact them without driving down to the shop?

Also, I've find references online to a dive shop in Ogdensburg, NY. Anyone know anything about that shop (I don't remeber the name)? Thanks.

lmghsowl:
I've looked at the Hunt's dive shop page and attempting to e-mail them. Unfortunately the e-mail address isn't correct or isn't working. Any idea of another way to possibly contact them without driving down to the shop?

Also, I've find references online to a dive shop in Ogdensburg, NY. Anyone know anything about that shop (I don't remeber the name)? Thanks.

Try these:

From http://www.1000islands.com/dive/

---------------------------------------------

Email: dive@1000islands.com

40782 Route 12
Clayton, NY 13624
Phone/Fax: (315) 686-1070

PO Box 832
200 East Main St.
Watertown, NY 13606
Phone/Fax: (315) 788-2075

Located just 3.5 miles West of Interstate Route 81, Exit 50-S