Northern AR shore?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TLB2

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Are there any dive sites in northern Arkansas for shore dives (lake or quarry; not river)? I'm near Memphis, TN and looking for something about 3 to 4 hours away. My LDS runs a boat out of Heber Springs on intermittent weekends, but I typically work on weekends and was looking for something a little more conveinient to my schedule without needing to use vacation time. I've read that Lake Oauchita down near Hot Springs has some easy access, but was looking for something closer if possible.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I've only boat dived in Bull Shoals and can't think of much shore diving there except for the beach area by the dam, but this may too far for you. Table Rock has some good shore diving at the dam by Dewey Short, but again maybe too far of a drive. I've never been to Norfork, but I've heard the only shore diving is by the Marina. I think somebody told me you could get to the bridge by shore and dive the bridge. Not sure how far Norfork is from you, but you might want to look at it. If it is within your driving range, contact Jordans Marina and they would be able to tell you more about the shore diving on the lake.

How far are you from Mermet Springs? This is located outside of Metropolis, IL. in the southern edge of Illinois north of Paduca, Ky. This is a great dive quarry. I drive 6 hours frequently to dive this quarry.

S. Nagel

I hadn't even thought about looking into southern IL; the place you mention looks like it's about 220 miles or so from my house going up I-55 and then I-57 so well within the 3-4 hour range. I'll have to search for that quarry - do they have a web site?

Table Rock is a bit further than I'd like to drive. I think Norfolk lake might be a good option. The marina and bridge you mentioned the one just east of Mountain Home? I was wondering about that area, but the lake was so high a couple of weeks ago, everything was under water. Went fishing with my Dad, Uncle and one of my cousins (he just got back from Iraq so was looking for some down time) over at Bull Shoals State Park. I think there is a dive shop across the bridge from the marina if I remember correctly.

Thanks for the info.

Go to:

Mermet Springs - Home of 1st Class Diving

This is one of the best dive quarry's I've ever been at. Many attractions and the staff is absolutely the best. Check out my photo album listed below and there are many pictures from Mermet.

I'm not a salesman for Mermet, just a diver that enjoys a great dive. You can't go wrong with Mermet.

S. Nagel

The north end of Beaver Lake near the Dam has some really great shore diving in northwest AR, but reading your previous threads it is probably too far from you as well. In case you are interested, just search for Beaver Lake on this forum, and see what everyone else has to say about it. The bluff site just southeast of the dam is very popular (sometimes too popular). I began diving in Beaver Lake, and have never dove anywhere else freshwater so the only place I have to compare it with is Cozumel (which isn't a fair comparison). Also C&J Sports has some really affordable accomodations right on the lake, if you chose to make a weekend of it and are not into camping. C&J is also the LDS with very affordable equipment rentals, air fills, and PADI classes. Their website is Home / C & J Sports if you want to check them out.

Mermot Springs looks cool -- err make that fun. The temps look &@*# cold at 54 degrees - :errrr:yikes! I may have to visit there later in the year; Daughter and I got a new 7mm farmer johns to try out but I think thats a bit cooler than I want to test it out in. We may just go to Pelham, AL since it should be a good 10 degrees warmer. We did our check out dives last May in Pelham wearing 3mm without hood or gloves - don't want to repeat that experience:shakehead:. Should be OK this time with thicker suits, hood and gloves.

I think I'll give one of the dive shops near Norfolk lake a call and get some info from them. I'm assuming the water there has to be pretty cold so that may be a summer trip as well. My parents are looking to move to Mountain Home within the next year so we may have a base to operate from this fall to check out some of the lakes in the ozarks. Definitely not Cozumel (went there on daughter's spring break - awesome!:D) but we just want to do some diving.

Yea, right now the water is on the cooler side, but it does warm up nicely toward the end of May first part of June. It is always 42 degrees at the bottom, but if you stay above the TC during the warmer months it is a very nice dive. I would suspect that the water in the lakes is also fairly cool right now as well. If you get a chance, do a night dive at Mermet. Nothing like listening to Pink Floyd while doing a night dive (they have an undewater speaker system).

With all the rain, I'm believing that most of the lakes are still reeling and the viz is pretty much shot. Last I heard at Norfork at the Marina was that it was a total mud puddle due to all the rain (This was early April).

When I was last at Mermet they told me the viz usually is terrible March and April and starts to clear up in May. June is when a lot of the students start up again and they tend to muck it up a little.

If you have a 7mm FJ, you will do fine. I just started diving dry, so water temp has not been an issue. Previously, I wore a 7mm full and when I went deeper I put on a hooded vest under. My dive buddy wore a 7mm FJ at Mermet and never had a problem.

S. Nagel

we dive norfolk all the time. check out scuba doo dive shop. they're close to the middle of the lake and close to henderson campground. jordan marina is on the southern end of the lake. jordan's has a map of 29 different dive sites at the southern end of the lake. most are reachable by boat but its worth renting a boat for the day. the people at scuba doo are great and we get all our airfills, and any needed equipment from them. stay away from the air fills on bull shoals. last time we got our tanks filled the air tasted funny.

Yes, there is Mermet; Pennyroyal is in Hopkinsville, KY (south western boarder- just north of Clarksville, TN) is also within your driving range (I think). you can look their site up at: Pennyroyal Scuba Blue Springs Resort . Nice quarry, a little bigger (water surface area) than Mermet, but very similar. After Memorial Day, they'll be open all but 1 day during the week. Right now, it's just weekends. I'm down there quite a few weekends, if you're ever looking for a buddy. Just give me a PM. I have to work 2/5 weekends, so I'll have to check to see if I'm working. Martha's quarry is also not too far from Nashville (may be getting on the long side of how far you want to travel). I've never been there, so can't really say what it's like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom