Northeast boat diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

His point is, after evaluating my skills, that I am ready. Interestingly, despite his very deep dives on mix, he still says his "deepest" dive was 60' off of Atlantic City.

If you're doing a deep dive, or a wreck, it's definately a good idea to have a reel. Many of my boat dives have been relatively shallow profiles for playing with seals, spearfishing, etc... and a reel isn't quite as helpful for those, especially if it's a "follow my flag with the zodiac, and pick me up when I surface" sort of thing.

Bottom line: bring appropriate gear for the situation, as always.

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...
IMHO, you should take the wreck reel even if you don't intend to penetrate.

At least up here, the vis can be less than optimal. Deploying a wreck reel from the mooring line will drastically improve your chance of coming back up the same line you went down.

I was recently reminded of this when I decided, wrongly, that I knew the wreck of the U-853 well enough to do without the reel. A couple of turns, a little foray to look for (not touch) depth charges and my buddy and I found ourselves decompressing above the stern of the boat. The problem was, we descended on the bow.

Not a big deal, but embarrassing.

I have not been diving in your area. However, if the vis is similar to New England, you can prevent problems like the one described with a reel. I use a 250' Dive Rite. However, I like Halcyon's or Manta's better.

As for the pony, if you decide to take it along, consider slinging it under your arm. Its easily accessible, is less of an entanglement hazard and can be removed/replaced underwater, if necessary.

Good luck. Hope you enjoy the dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom