North sulawesi - early December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm just thinking

Is 27 celcius in the gulf of Oman warmer than 27 Celsius in Indonesian waters?

lol

because it was 27 C all summer and 90% of divers were in rash guards - if at all

I'd still be in a full 3mm and after a couple of days be wearing the beanie.

Well i am skinny, work as a diver so 3 or 4 dives a day, and i am globally prone to cold so aint nothing like overkill when it comes to thermal exposure :p

Well i am skinny, work as a diver so 3 or 4 dives a day, and i am globally prone to cold so aint nothing like overkill when it comes to thermal exposure :p

Fair enough. You should take it or . . .a 5 mm and a Sharkskin. Plus a full hood with bib.

I am already on 5mm Shark skin and hood... Deeper than 40 or longer than 90m i am shivering. Water is 27/28°c and caves 25/26°

OK dry suit then, heehee

Hi All - Ive been reading this thread and want to say - there is a wealth of valuable info here - so thanks very much.

I am contemplating a similar itinerary in early June but just have 8 days (this will be before a 10 day Raja Ampat LOB)
We are not photographers and wouldn't want too be highly focused on muck/macro diving a majority of the time in one location. So for that I think Lembeh is out. I am thinking 5 days in Bangka and 2 in Bunaken which really means one day of diving in Bunaken because we'll need to off gas for the flight to Sorong.

Here are my questions, thoughts and contemplations:

- Its her first time in Indo and I think Bunaken first then Bangka then off to RA to "build up the experience" of Indonesia reefs. However it would probably be easier logistically to go to Banka first then spend the last 2 days closer to Manado before our flight.

- Is omitting Lembeh a good decision given the background and time constraints? Would there be any Lembeh/muck like dives within striking distance if we are in Bangka?

- Are there any current/weather issues around Bangka in June that we should consider?

- Like the OP we are on a bit of a budget and I haven't looked into any resorts or packages yet, so any and all input thoughts and recos is greatly appreciated in advance.

Many thanks!

OH one last thing - I was also thinking about Wakitobi (which used to be reviewed quite well in the past) instead of the North Sulawesi spots. But it seems as if the quality of diving has gone down quite a bit in the past few years. Does anyone have any input on Wakitobi and/or if it would be a good trade off from the Northern part of Sulawesi these days?

Some context for comparison (in SEAsia): I have been in Komodo, Raja Ampat, Lembeh, Halmahera, Sumbawa, She in Philippines Puerto Galera, Bohol, Dumaguete
'
Thanks again

- Is omitting Lembeh a good decision given the background and time constraints? Would there be any Lembeh/muck like dives within striking distance if we are in Bangka?

- Are there any current/weather issues around Bangka in June that we should consider?
Some ops in Bangka do daytrips to Lembeh. Murex does if they can find enough guests. You may ask them to arrange that for you (providing some other guests would lo like to join; i think it's interesting for anyone to experience Lembeh.
I don't think there is any weather issue for June, it should be very hot with the reversal of the winds starting a southern monsoon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom