North Shore- boat or shore dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thrownoverbored

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey everyone,

Going back to Oahu this September and hope to actually dive this time (my first trip in January, the dive shop cancelled on us-- twice!). Will be diving on the North Shore with Deep Ecology, and would like your advice whether to do boat or shore dives. I've heard great things about Sharks Cove and Electric Beach, both of which are shore, but Deep Ecology recommended boat dives since it's our first time in HI. What do you think? I'm more comfortable with boat dives but can do shore, my husband I think has only done boat dives and is more of a beginner. In any case, I only have one shot at this and want to see the best sites! Thanks for your help!

Canceled on you? That's the weak sauce. Who was that? There are a lot of flaky operators on Oahu who have gone under in the last few years. Anyway DE are good folks.

Sharks Cove is the perfect shore dive for a beginner and you can only dive the north shore in the summer. It is very popular though.

Electric beach is kind of junk IMO.

Boat dives are my preference, but they generally do a deep dive to a wreck (Oahu's main diving attraction) and then a shallow reef dive. If you got a beginner that might not be his thing but I recommend that.

My advice on boat dives on Oahu is make sure you get on a small boat and/or look at their web page to see if the operator owns the boat in order to avoid the cattle class BS.

September is usually a great time of year for diving Oahu's North Shore; no winter swells yet and the summer tourist family crowds all back to school; especially midweek. Deep Ecology's 6-pac dive boat should be doing the North Shore in Sept, so no deep wreck dives first.

Shark's Cove is one of my top 5 favorite shore diving sites in the entire State of Hawaii, but the access path is not easy for everyone and the water ingress/egress is also not like a ski area's bunny slope for a first time shore diver. That said, I have certified many new divers at Shark's Cove so some beginners handle if just fine, with experienced tutelage.

Nearby Three Tables is in my top 10 favorite Hawaii shore diving sites, but even though there is no obstacle course to negotiate, it is still a steep, very "deep" sand beach that is a serious workout for many to finish off the dive, and there are no showers so be prepared to take some of that course sand with you when you leave.

When I was a DE instructor/guide, nimble footed shore divers could make 4-6 "different" Pupukea shore dives with me that even included a top tier boat dive location, although the furthest reaches of Shark's cove and "Car Wash" require 100 cf tanks for the less than petite breathers.

[c][/c]

That said; Car Wash and Atlantis by boat is usually beautiful morning boating with not much diving effort and high quality underwater adventure. :idk:

... and you can only dive the north shore in the summer...

Well, while I'd say that it is very rare for a dive op to take customers North Shore diving in the winter, this picture was taken at my favorite North Shore cleaning station, on December 25th, '04.

[c][/c]

They have some new moorings out... So I'd to both! Great Shore diving out there and their boat, altough tiny, is awesome!

Michael

You can't go wrong with Shark's Cove, just get there early if you want parking.

You can't go wrong with Shark's Cove, just get there early if you want parking.

I got there just before 8:00 a couple of weeks ago and parked right at the top of the trail. Talk about lucky! :D

Sorry for the late reply, but thanks everyone! I think we'll stick to boat dives this time-- while I could handle shore entries, I want to make it as easy as possible for the hubs. He still gets stressed/nervous at times, so I want to ease him into diving... in the hopes he'll love it enough so we can do a dedicated dive trip to Indonesia in the next couple years :)

I agree with most of the posts. Shark's Cove and Three Tables are great shore dives. Both of them require a little walking with gear but not too bad.
We have gone out with most of the local dive ops and prefer diving with Charly at Surf n Sea.
Pat at DE has always taken good care of us too though.

There is usually a Friday night dive at Shark's Cove with a medium sized group.
Nice and easy way to meet some other divers and see the Cove after dark.

You might also check out the Sea Tiger in Honolulu. Waikiki Divers frequents this wreck.
Ask to dive with Marco...he's a good friend and even better diver. You won't be disappointed.

Enjoy the trip and the dives!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom