North County San Diego Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blackwood

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I've been wanting to try some shore diving out in the north county region of San Diego (Encinitas, Carlsbad, Oceanside, etc.) over the thanksgiving holidays.

Any suggestions? Most web searches I've run return either dead links or stuff that ends up talking about La Jolla.

Thanks!
MB

Cool. Pipes looks interesting. Thanks!

Both Cardiff and Carlsbad have some nice little reefs but the entry can be rough due to surf and be prepared for long surface swims.

These spots were we did a lot of diving as a kid where surf and long swims were no issue, but today, I'd just go a little further South to the easy entries at La Jolla.

If I had access to a boat I'd love to see this new area.
SCE - Kelp Reef Dedication

San Elijo is another location. But pretty much everything in North County is shallow, with surge, surf, and generally poor visibility. Better to drive up to Laguna.

Again, we have plenty of experience in LJ and Laguna. Looking to TRY North County. We're fine with surf, surge, and poor visibility. We'd like to try something new. That said, we'd still like to stack the deck in our favor by trying the best that NC has to offer. Thanks everyone for your suggestions so far. Any details about these various NC sites you can offer would be most appreciated!

Yup, what Rainer said. We'll be diving La Jolla the day before, and have done Laguna enough.

If it sucks, it sucks. I always notice a dive shop in the oceanside area (east of I5), so I figure there's gotta be something. Even if it's as barren as Vets I'd like to try it out.

One of the sites diversteve linked to suggests that Pipes has kelp beds. Sounds interesting.

Yup, what Rainer said. We'll be diving La Jolla the day before, and have done Laguna enough.

If it sucks, it sucks. I always notice a dive shop in the oceanside area (east of I5), so I figure there's gotta be something. Even if it's as barren as Vets I'd like to try it out.

One of the sites diversteve linked to suggests that Pipes has kelp beds. Sounds interesting.

Those sites are better than Vets in some ways but can also be tricky. Lots of fishermen visit the outer kelp beds there so be aware of of the mono.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom