North Coaster Dory

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Can any one share experience and opinions with these as a dive boat?

~~~~19.5Ft. Nor'Coaster Dory. Aluminum

Holy cow, I like that thing, though I am sure it will pound your teeth to pulp unless you just putt, putt. Maybe remove the I/O and use it for the anchor and convert it to an outrigged outboard motor on a bracket, but the boat is cool. N

~~~~19.5Ft. Nor'Coaster Dory. Aluminum

Holy cow, I like that thing, though I am sure it will pound your teeth to pulp unless you just putt, putt. Maybe remove the I/O and use it for the anchor and convert it to an outrigged outboard motor on a bracket, but the boat is cool. N

Did you read my mind or just know that Roseville is a stone's throw from Sacramento?

I know all, I see all. How, the power of the internet is at my fingers. N

Maybe remove the I/O and use it for the anchor and convert it to an outrigged outboard motor on a bracket, but the boat is cool. N

BTW, I did a bit of research on pros and cons of I/O and found nothing conclusive. Everyone seems to either love or hate them. You are in the hate category. What is the story?

BTW, I did a bit of research on pros and cons of I/O and found nothing conclusive. Everyone seems to either love or hate them. You are in the hate category. What is the story?

Where do you get the hate concept in what I said?

I don't like the I/O, the dory boat I like.

Have you ever been in a dory? In the Pacific where often you may have 2-4 foot glassy swells spread well apart I can see that dory gliding along sweetly. The slow planning speed and flat bottom stability (at rest) would make a great short distance dive machine.

But--but--but---you take that flat bottom hull, put it in the GOM where 2-3 foot sharp chop is the norm for days at a time and that flat bottom coupled with the light aluminum construction will pound you till you cry.

The flat bottom dory skiff is an old design, powered by oars they were and still are a seaworthy and salty design, the advent of internal combustion allows a far bit more speed. There is nothing there to absorb the shock of a flat bottom hull slamming into chop.

As to the I/O, some people love them, notice however, most modern offshore boats are either outboard or inboard. I/O can flood from the shroud or bellows, thye often have alignment problems, all of the weight is in the rear but an I/O is much heavier, power to weight ratio, than an outboard which compromises low speed planning. The I/O also uses up valuable floor space and are a PITA to maintain. That is simply my opinion, others will vary. "Conclusive" you say, that will never happen, each to their own.

I think that is a cool boat, it would just be much more attractive to me with a 90 horse Etec hung on it. The you would have a roomy, lightweight and highly efficient rig.

This is a boating forum you may find useful:

http://www.thehulltruth.com/?showall=true

Also, the spear board has a good boat forum.

N

We have had this discussion before - I/O's take up considerable room in small boats and are a mess to repair in such a confined space.

I/O's were originally developed for use on the Great Lakes. They're great for fresh water use. Salt water - nah.

Thanks for the responses. I have zero experience with I/O power and never considered it until I saw this boat. I agree that anything but flat seas would be torture with this hull design.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom