North Carolina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everything i find about North Carolina tells me that there are both American and Spiny Lobsters there but yet i cant seem to find the regulations on them. Is it ok to catch and keep them? If so are there any other types of lobsters found over there and where could i find them. I am very interested in shore diving if you happen to know any places that i would be able to go to do some shore diving i would be very thankful. Are the sounds safe for small boats, if so how about fishing and diving? If there is any other information you could give me about good places to live or things like that i would be very thankful. Thankyou.

Wow, that's a lot of ground to cover! :)

Yes, there are spiny lobsters here. I've never seen an American lobster, but that doesn't mean they aren't around. My guess is that if they are here, they would be north of Cape Hatteras, where the colder water is.

Yes, you can catch the spiny lobsters. No, I don't know the regs, other than the fact that you have to bring them in without any holes in them, and no egg-bearing females. There are also slipper lobster here too, and they're not bad either. Most common places to look for lobsters are the deeper (90ft +) ledges, which means a bit of a boat ride to get there.

There aren't a lot of great shore dives in NC. Two of the most popular are the "triangle wrecks" in Kitty Hawk and Radio Island near Beaufort.

Yes, the sounds are safe for small boats. Best to watch the weather carefully though, if you're heading out in Pamlico and Albemarle sounds. Because of their size they can get rough pretty quick. The sounds are generally kind of silty, and I don't know anyone who dives in them on a regular basis.

For a diver, the places that offer the most variety are the Morehead City / Beaufort area or Wilmington.

Hope this helps. You might also want to try www.ncdivers.com for more great info about diving in the area.

Back
Top Bottom