North Carolina wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Olympus and discovery both run large boat recreational trips all summer long. Olympus has a dive lodge you can stay in for peanuts. Best dive conditions seem to be September and October, but good diving can be had all summer and through the fall. If you want smaller boats and less people, there are plenty of those charters available as well.

From now till November NC diving is excellent. Several operators out of Morehead City run great ops. You can dive off of 6 packs up to big cattle carts. Olympus is the main shop that we use for fills when diving there. We have mainly used Tortuga Charters for our MHC diving and Under Pressure for Hatteras diving. You can not go wrong with any of them.

Now the Sand Tigers are breeding and in Aug/Sept the females have the babies. Some of the wrecks are thick with sharks while others barely have any.
Here's a video from Memorial Day weekend.

https://vimeo.com/129057405

If you want to come as far as Wilmington, then Aquatic Safaris would be a suggestion. Only issue is don't ask for a certain mix of Nitrox. They just fill the tanks and you check the O2 Analyzer. I asked for 32% and offered me something less. Just ask for a different tank and see if they can get close to what you want. They run a nice shop.

In NC we dive wrecks and ledges. AS runs to City of Houston, Normannia, Gill, Rosin, and some other natural wrecks. They also run to Hyde, Markham, and some purposely sunk boats. I think they bank 30% but you can ask for other mixes.

Tortuga is a six pack that operates out of Morehead and sometimes Wrightsville Beach (Wilmington)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom