North Carolina, what's it like

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what's the price of real estate, rental and to buy
can anyone point me in the right direction

Entirely dependent on the area in which you live and whether or not you are in a rural or urban area. I live in downtown Raleigh in a small house. For what my house is worth, I could live in a very large house in Greensboro or Eastern NC. So you will need to narrow things down a bit.

I'd say it is safe to say that real estate is cheaper than in Boston.

Yes...very important to understand the difference between barbequeing and grilling out.

And even more important is to respect the concept of vinegar based barbeque sauces in the eastern carolina. I still prefer tomato based sauces, but it clearly distinguishes me as a near yankee.

thak you all for your input
are there realator website from a few different parts of NC that can be posted here
i have had a bit of a google, sifting through 50 bazillion replies, i feel i might be old and maybe dead before i find something
while i'm here, appart from winnebago, are there other motor home brand i could be looking for
i've found winnebago blah's and winniebago blah blah's
i'm thinking there must be others
thanks again, and sorry for the dumb questions

Yes...very important to understand the difference between barbequeing and grilling out.

And even more important is to respect the concept of vinegar based barbeque sauces in the eastern carolina. I still prefer tomato based sauces, but it clearly distinguishes me as a near yankee.

That would be "Damn Yankee" DA Aquamaster. :D

At least we know that you have the proper influences.

thak you all for your input
are there realator website from a few different parts of NC that can be posted here
i have had a bit of a google, sifting through 50 bazillion replies, i feel i might be old and maybe dead before i find something
while i'm here, appart from winnebago, are there other motor home brand i could be looking for
i've found winnebago blah's and winniebago blah blah's
i'm thinking there must be others
thanks again, and sorry for the dumb questions

Rubbachicken, I'm telling you, the state is too big. I bet there are tens of thousands of realtors. I suspect that your choice of location will be largely driven by job opportunities, so narrow it down a bit and we might be able to help. Here is one realtor from my area, in the interest of full disclosure, she is my cousin's wife:) My area is probably one of the more expensive ones in the state, but just a few miles out, it gets much more affordable. Have fun.

Wake County Real Estate

thank you all for your input
we're needing an area warm in summer, but not too humid, and not so cold in winter, or at least not too much snow
somewhere i mght be able to find electrical contractor work
somewhere not a million miles from the coast, asheville is somewhere mrs rubbachicken has mentioned, but for me that's too far from the coast
i've asked for real estate help, please if you are in NC if there's a real etate office local to you, a link would be very much appreciated
the more places we can take a look at the better
i'm going to hopefully be in boston for a couple of weeks in april, with luck we will take a road trip down to NC, to take a look at various areas and see if there's someplace there we could set up home together

Hello Rubba Chicken,

I am a mechanical engineer (25yrs) and South Carolina Realtor (5yrs). I live and dive offshore (and in the Cooper River) in Charleston SC. Charleston is on the coast, was founded and settled by the English, and was named after King Charles. I use to live and dive offshore North Carolina. In NC I lived a 1hr drive from the coast. Frankly, if you love diving, do yourself a favor and locate yourself as close to the coast as possible. If you do this, you will always be able to take in some weekend diving when it is not possible to fly to some exotic location. We have some excellent diving off the NC AND SC coastline. LOTS of shipwrecks. We also have technical schools located in almost every town in the USA. The climate here is excellent in my opinion.

The following link will give you an idea of the real estate properties avaliable in Charleston SC. North Carolina will not be GREATLY different.

Charleston Trident Association of Realtors:

http://www.charlestonrealtors.com/

Every area in the US has a similar link. Practically all Realtor's in the US are paid members of their local "Association of Realtors". This is where the product (real estate) is listed and where most homes are found and purchased.

The nationwide link is:

Real Estate Listings, Homes for Sale and Rental Property Listings ? REALTOR.com

The average home price of course depends on the neighborhood. A general overall average home price in Charleston SC is 200k-250k.

The lament I hear from European visitors to the US is the distance between towns. Apparently people do not realize how spread out the US is. The complaint is that they must drive and drive and drive and drive and drive to get to their destination. This is another reason to locate close to the coast. The other item that is readily noticed is: there is no visa or passport required to drive from state to state.

The video below I took while offshore Myrtle Beach South Carolina on the "Scuba Express" dive boat. The dive boat is approximately 45 feet long. Duel diesel engines. Second story bridge. Lot of railings. Duel ladders (fins off). Rear dive platform. Cooler with drinking water. Head. Pilot house. Unique tank holders (no bungies). Spear fishing allowed. The bow has a flat deck for lounging and sunning. Helpful dive masters. Excellent operation overall.

Welcome to the USA! God save the Queen!

Conservative, God fearing folk.

Stereotype my friend.

You clearly haven't met enough of us, nor have you spent ANY time in Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill. And remember, the whole state went blue this last election, not red. I'm pretty sure no one would call me conservative.

As for God, I don't fear him at all. But I do have 5 minister/pastors just on my father's side of family, and that is only going out to my aunts/uncles/first cousins.

Last edited:
Stereotype my friend.

You clearly haven't met enough of us, nor have you spent ANY time in Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill. And remember, the whole state went blue this last election, not red. I'm pretty sure no one would call me conservative.

As for God, I don't fear him at all. But I do have 5 minister/pastors just on my father's side of family, and only out to my aunts/uncles/cousins.

Been in the East and the West...not yet the middle!:D

Back
Top Bottom