North Ambergris Caye

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boulderjohn

Technical Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Well, I thought I was going to Costa Rica, but the vacation Gods took me to Belize instead. I will be joining some friends in the Costa Maya Reef Resort on Ambergris Caye. I did a search on this forum and learned that I will be in a pretty remote area compared to the rest of the island, which is just fine with me.

I also learned that there are only three operators in that area. One of them is on-site, the Belize Academy of Diving. I did a search for information on them, but I did not get a lot of reliable information. Can someone tell me if a pretty experienced diver should just go the easy route and use the house operation, or should I look for other options?

The reason I ask is that I once blindly took the house operation on the east end of Grand Cayman and made the right decision after the first day by cancelling with them and going with another operation nearby. I want to avoid that mess from the start.

BAD is good, so you shouldn't have any problems. There's no need to book in advance so don't, and maybe try another as well.

peterbj7:
BAD is good, so you shouldn't have any problems. There's no need to book in advance so don't, and maybe try another as well.

That advice right there would be good enough for me knowing that peter is an owner/operator of a competing dive company on the island.

jaydub:
That advice right there would be good enough for me knowing that peter is an owner/operator of a competing dive company on the island.

Good to know! I didn't pay any attention to his profile information until I saw this. I think I have all the information I need.

Thanks!

boulderjohn:
Good to know! I didn't pay any attention to his profile information until I saw this. I think I have all the information I need.

Thanks!

You might want to schedule an extra dive or two with another dive op such as protech, as peter said...to try out a different company. Their boats will pick you up at your resorts dock.

You certainly wouldn't go wrong trying protech. I've been with them for 35 dives during the last 2 years. Great divemasters and service. Ken :42:

boulderjohn:
Well, I thought I was going to Costa Rica, but the vacation Gods took me to Belize instead. I will be joining some friends in the Costa Maya Reef Resort on Ambergris Caye. I did a search on this forum and learned that I will be in a pretty remote area compared to the rest of the island, which is just fine with me.

I also learned that there are only three operators in that area. One of them is on-site, the Belize Academy of Diving. I did a search for information on them, but I did not get a lot of reliable information. Can someone tell me if a pretty experienced diver should just go the easy route and use the house operation, or should I look for other options?

The reason I ask is that I once blindly took the house operation on the east end of Grand Cayman and made the right decision after the first day by cancelling with them and going with another operation nearby. I want to avoid that mess from the start.

Hi,
I'm in Ambergris Caye right this moment!!!! Staying at Xanadu. We used Protech Dive Shop to dive Hol Chan Marine Reserve and loved them. I had read glowing things about them on the boards. Peter (who responded to you) is the owner/operator.
There is a dive shop in Placencia that does whale shark dives. $150 I think. They are going out beginning on May 11th to search for Whale Sharks. If you're here then, you oughta give it a try. You'll need to take the puddle jumper to Belize City then again to Placencia, but can get it done in a day. The puddle jumper flights are about $100 round trip.
We ate at Blue Water grill in the Sunbreeze by the airport and it was really good.
Island isn't that big, so you can get around by walking, bike, or golf cart.
Weather is fantastic and visibility is stunning.
PM me if you want anymore info.
Angela

In Placencia head for Seahorse, owned/run by Brian Young. He is the acknowledged expert on whale shark diving. In this case you DO need to book in advance, and as early as possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom