norris tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

islandguy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I purchased a norris steel tank. Does anyone have any information on these tanks??

I have a couple of these tanks, 120 cf steel to be exact, about 2 lbs neg empty. 3500 psi fill.

What do you have and what do you want to know? I'll see if I can find a link later on for tank specs, I have it somewhere at home. It's not easy to come by.

I have an ancient one but I couldn't get it hydro'ed because of the J-valve. They've made tanks for a long time based on what I've seen.

I believe it is 85 cf steel. I been having a hard time finding the specs on these tanks.
I have checked the web page for Norris but nothing on scuba tanks. I would appreciate any information on the tanks or where I could get the information.

Thanks

drbill:
I have an ancient one but I couldn't get it hydro'ed because of the J-valve. They've made tanks for a long time based on what I've seen.
What was the reason they gave you for not doing a hydro because of the J-valve? I have tanks hydroed all the time that J-valves are used on.

What are you talking about?? Chuck Norris doesn't need tanks. If he wants air, he'll just beat it out of you.

Lead_carrier:
What was the reason they gave you for not doing a hydro because of the J-valve? I have tanks hydroed all the time that J-valves are used on.

I would hope not! Hydro has NOTHING to do with the valves...

Lead_carrier:

They felt the valve itself was not fit for use unless it got rebuilt. Not sure why they wouldn't hydro the tank itself... it's still in the back seat of my car after almost a year!

Just another case of dive shop idiots.

drbill:

If the tank in question has 1/2 NGT (National Gas Tight, Looks like a tapered pipe thread, but is a steeper taper) then repeated seating of the tapered threaded valve can wear out the tank threads.

I had to retire some old 72's for this reason.

It's also getting harder to find the valves, but they can be found, usually NOS getting dusty in some backroom of an old LDS.

Norris, BTW used to make tanks right in Los Angeles, a plant that basically made two things, pressure vessels and artillery shells. I attended the auction when the plant closed about 10 years ago.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom