Norris Cylinder HP Steel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gloveboxtech

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,

I just purchased a used Norris HP Steel 100, I am curious what everyone thinks about this tank compared to all other manufacturers.

Norris has gone in and out of the scuba market at least twice, each time letting an exemption expire and leaving thousands of tanks unusable (under DOT regs) with nary an apology to their customers. The last time they were belatedly pressured into renewing the exemption, but it still left a bad taste in the mouth of many Norris tank owners, and there are no guarantees for the next time.

I can't recall or find any specs as to buoyancy and weight, but best I can recall they were OK.

Norris has gone in and out of the scuba market at least twice, each time letting an exemption expire and leaving thousands of tanks unusable (under DOT regs) with nary an apology to their customers. The last time they were belatedly pressured into renewing the exemption, but it still left a bad taste in the mouth of many Norris tank owners, and there are no guarantees for the next time.

I can't recall or find any specs as to buoyancy and weight, but best I can recall they were OK.

I rented one once, and ISTR them being somewhat heavier in both categories compared to say a Worthington, but maybe not as heavy/negative as my Asahi Genesis (est. -5/-12.5, 39 lb. empty with valve and boot)? Here's a thread from the last time they let the exemption expire:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/tanks-valves-bands/156737-exemption-expiration.html

Guy

Back
Top Bottom