NorCal Freshwater Dive Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just found this old post about the gorge and feel obligated to chime in.

I’ve freedived EVERY hole between the horsebridge and the “waterfall”. Most are 30’ or shallower. The last one before the walls get really narrow is probably 60’ and it is COLD down there.

There is a really deep pool below the first main swimming hole but it is hard to get to. I’ve ridden rocks down to about 45’ and could not see the bottom…I’ve always wanted scuba for that one.
Cool!

It’s been over 50 years since I’ve been there.
My memory has faded on a lot about the area and where everything is in relation to distances.
How far of a hike is it to get to that gorge? Would it be possible to hike a steel 72 wearing a 5 mil full suit with a small weightbelt to the location from a parking area?

Cool!

It’s been over 50 years since I’ve been there.
My memory has faded on a lot about the area and where everything is in relation to distances.
How far of a hike is it to get to that gorge? Would it be possible to hike a steel 72 wearing a 5 mil full suit with a small weightbelt to the location from a parking area?

Well, anything is possible but I certainly wouldn’t advise it. It’s about 2 miles along the fire road and then 1/2 mile down the foot trail to the horsebridge. From there it’s creek walking and it’s not trivial. Freediving really is the way to go.

I’m thinking maybe I could get my Choptima down there with an lp27 as dil. Even then I’d probably rig a trailer up to a bicycle.

Who is interested in a dive in Pinecrest Lake over Labor Day weekend? I have a call into the ranger station, the folks at the one off Highway 108 didn't know offhand and will get back to me whether it is permitted.

Did you ever get an answer from the Rangers?

Thrutch, this is a great website! Thanks for the effort. I've heard about Convict Lake, sounds interesting. That opens up a few more on the Hwy 395 side, Twins Lakes, June Lake etc.
June Lake could be interesting, especially when it ices up in the winter...

Also has anyone tried to dive Crystal Springs?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom