NorCal Freshwater Dive Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmcgilroy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My summer plan is to do some freshwater diving in the California Sierra mountains and I'd like a few suggestions. I've done more than a dozen dives in Tahoe and a few in some surrounding lakes. There have been a lot of positive comments about Whiskeytown Lake near Shasta as well. Decent visibility is a main concern but it doesn't have to be Lake Tahoe quality. A few that have caught my eye are Alpine lake near Arnold, CA, Union and Utica Reservoir, Spicer Reservoir by Bear Valley. Silver and Caples Lake on Hwy 88. Huntington, Wishon, Edison on Hwy 168 out of Fresno.

Any thoughts?

I would like to know myself. Good question.

One thought, do you want a buddy? I have myself wondered what Lake Alpine looks like under the water. It's certainly quite beautiful topside! Decent amount of viz. Ditto Pinecrest in Strawberry, though it probably has a similar "big glacial boulders" look. I hiked the length of Spicer last June and it has pretty crummy viz, despite the altitude. I don't know anything about the others on your list.

I would add a couple to your list. One day, I want to hump my dive gear up to Eagle Lake in Tahoe. Probably just looks the same as Lake Tahoe, I guess it's the inaccessibility that appeals to me. Also I would love to see Lake Manzanita in Lassen, there's a lot of watercress in the shallow parts, and not a ton of viz (5m / 20 ft?), but it's warm in the summer. I was swimming last July in trunks. Heck of a thermocline, though!

One thought, do you want a buddy? I have myself wondered what Lake Alpine looks like under the water. It's certainly quite beautiful topside! Decent amount of viz. Ditto Pinecrest in Strawberry, though it probably has a similar "big glacial boulders" look. I hiked the length of Spicer last June and it has pretty crummy viz, despite the altitude. I don't know anything about the others on your list.

I would add a couple to your list. One day, I want to hump my dive gear up to Eagle Lake in Tahoe. Probably just looks the same as Lake Tahoe, I guess it's the inaccessibility that appeals to me. Also I would love to see Lake Manzanita in Lassen, there's a lot of watercress in the shallow parts, and not a ton of viz (5m / 20 ft?), but it's warm in the summer. I was swimming last July in trunks. Heck of a thermocline, though!
I was set to dive Alpine last year and cut my hand the day before (just 4 stitches) so I passed. Very easy shore entry and it looked both cold and clear. Altitude is 7300+. I've just purchased one of those camper shells with the wedge tent on top and I have a gas-powered Coltri compressor. I might look like a mountain-man by the end of the summer...and a dive buddy is always welcome.

Jim

My friend has a cabin up in Groveland and there's a lake there for all sorts of water activities. Do not know what to expect from that lake, it may be Pine Mountain Lake. I've joked about diving there to find our lost fishing lures! :) I think there's too much boat activity to safely go down.

Many freshwater locations throughout CA no longer allow diving. While our dive unit was requested to dive in a number of these lakes to film intakes and perform required maintenance, public diving was not allowed. Call the appropriate authority and inquire as to whether the lake you would like to dive in even allows it before you make a road trip to a location only to discover you can’t make the dive.

Clearly, there are not a lot of fresh water divers. ???
I just don't get around much. Tahoe is a short drive away for me in Reno. Donner and Fallen Leaf Lakes are good spots up here, too. I've got designs on schlepping in a wetsuit and small tank to check out a few others in the area. I met some guys who were planning a trip to Convict Lake, which apparently gets relatively deep. I'd definitely be interested in joining any expeditions!

I jump in Tahoe most every weekend (it was a toasty 41F on Sunday). I've been exploring new sites and collecting info about and diving established ones for a few years now. If anyone's interested, I've got 41 dive sites across 22 locations described on my website, DiveLakeTahoe.com, and I have a few more I still need to add. (I am not a guide or instructor and don't make any money on the site.)

Thrutch, this is a great website! Thanks for the effort. I've heard about Convict Lake, sounds interesting. That opens up a few more on the Hwy 395 side, Twins Lakes, June Lake etc.

Back
Top Bottom