Nor. Cal Used Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dermochelys

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was wondering if anyone knows of any dive shops in the general area around Sacramento (East Bay to Reno, Chico to Modesto) that might have annual sales of used gear and/or SCUBA gear swap meets that might be upcoming in the area. I'm looking to purchase a few items and was wondering if any of the shops in this general area do this sort of thing, or even generally if anyone knows of places in Nor. Cal. I know ebay and Craigslist can be good sources of equipment, but I'd prefer to see items first and get them from reputable outfits / people when getting used equipment.

Any information would be great.

Thanks!

I've had excellent luck with Craigslist since I can see the gear in person. I've done OK on eBay but I know what I'm looking at and what it is really worth, I won't get into a bidding war, and when in doubt I let it go. Also make sure all your family, friends, and acquaintances know you dive and are always looking for gear. I've had gear (a number of steel 72's) given to me that someone did not want to sell or shitcan, but would give it to someone who would use it. Last but not least, have a couple hundred dollars, in small bills, available at all times in case you run across a good score, it may not be there when you get back from the ATM.

The more you are looking at gear, the better you will become at evaluating it.

Bob

Check out "steeles discount scuba" in Oakland. The owner's name is Jim. I don't believe he sells used gear, but his new gear is priced well (high quality BCD for $289, semi-dry 7mm wetsuit $180). He will also inspect regulators for free and only charge you if he needs to repair something ($35).

He doesn't have a website. All his business is word of mouth, and organic yelp reviews.

But heads-up, his shop looks like a dark, dirty garage.

I drove from Santa Rosa to Jim's shop and it was well worth the drive.

Back
Top Bottom