Nootka Sound, Canada - Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tangfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Below is an excerpt from my Nootka Sound trip report, published to my personal site, CalvinTang.com.

Thousands upon thousands of bright pink and red strawberry anemones fill the underwater seascape, as clusters of giant, white cloud sponges protrude proudly off of the giant boulders that rest precariously upon a slope that wanders off into the abysmal depths. Above, a tinge of green light reminds us that there’s a world above and a curious Sea Lion darts to and fro, silhouetted by the backlit, emerald surface light. But, our adventures lead us deeper yet. Descending down to the limits of recreational diving, I spot a Puget Sound King Crab, hunkering down in its impenetrable armor, colored bright orange, yellow and royal blue. Next to it, a shy Mosshead Warbonnet peers out of a chimney sponge, and a beautiful rose anemone’s tentacles move meticulously as I drift by. My vision sharpens as I notice the shell littered bottom carpeted with humongous tube-dwelling anemones, because I know that their predator, the Giant Nudibranch, can’t be far off....

For the whole report (including dive site listings, travel information, etc.) and the photo gallery, please visit these pages:

Trip Report: Nootka Sound, Canada

Photo Gallery: Diving Nootka Sound

Special thanks to Scott & Jude at Tahtsa Dive Charters for the dives, and John Rawlings at Advanced Diver Magazine for putting the trip together. :D

Nice report and great photos...thanks for sharing! Now if I could get off my lazy ass and travel around the island a bit more.

You guys should definitely check out the rest of the island. I regretted not diving there when I lived in Vic, but then again I wasn't certified yet. Nootka was amazing. Next up, Browning Pass!

Nice photos. Thanks for sharing.

Great pictures...glad you had a good time.
You are lucky to dive with such a great company and excellent guides. They are some of the best.

U/O

Looks like a great trip.
Nootka Sound is amazing above and below. I did a kayak trip in that area a few years back and can't wait to get back out there.

Thanks for sharing.

I just got back and found your report , thanks , I needed that ! What a special place and even nicer people . Thanks again Calvin , your photos are knockout indeed . Lloyd

Back
Top Bottom