Noobie question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gunnit2682

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am new to diving and am just starting to get my gear. I can really only afford to get one wetsuit right now and I was wondering what everyone reccommended as far as brands they like and things to look for. I am probably going to be doing most of my diving off the NC coast and probably the biggest question I have is what thickness will give me the most flexible temperature range and so forth

thanks in advance

I like Henderson because they offer some more flexible suits (easier to get on) like thermoprene and hyperflex (IIRC). Other brands offer similar strechty wetsuit but I don't know what they are a called. Everyone has a different tolerance for temperature...but I would think a 7 mm or a 7/5 mm suit would be appropriate for NC diving.

A "flexible temperature" range might be hard to find. A 7 mm would be too hot if you wanted to go the the caribbean occasionally. A 3 mm suit would be more appropriate for tropical diving, but I just don't think it would keep you warm enough in NC...especially if you are going to go to any kind of depth to do wreck diving (which I think NC has a lot of).

Wetsuit is def the place to start in my opinion (I'm assuming you already have mask, fins, snorkel, and boots).

Let me know if you have any questions about what to buy as a newbie, because I'm in a similar boat and have done a lot of research/asked a lot of questions about the best order in which to buy the equipment. Obviously, its very subjective but I think I have a pretty good idea what the consensus is.

I agree. You might even consider going with a 2 pc. farmer john & jacket. That way you can wear them together for double insulation for really cold water or just the bottoms if you don't mind your upper body being exposed or maybe wear the jacket if you wan the top covered & the legs not. Later you can even mix & match with different tops & bottoms for the effect you want.

I recommend the Mares Trilastic 7-5-3. That's what I own and I love it. 7 mil in the entire torso area, 5 mil on the arms and legs and 3 mil on the cuffs. It's incredibly stretchy - I think Mares says it'll stretch 250% it's size. I've used it in waters that are 75 on the surface and 40 something on the bottom and I'm comfy the whole time.

Later you can even mix & match with different tops & bottoms for the effect you want.

He can have different looks for different seasons. :rofl3:

It really depends on time of year. I dive NC (Morehead and Topsail) between May and Oct and have been very comfy in a 3/2 Bare Velocity at 120 fsw on the wrecks. Actually I was in a 3/2 shortie in July and August this year and it was perfect. Remember, most of the frequently dived wrecks out of Morehead are out in the Gulfstream so they tend to be warm. In July and August, we even did the "inshore" wrecks and they were just as warm. Now I've not dived out there during the winter so I can't be of help there.

I have a 5/3 and 3/2 Bare Velocity progressive and love both suits. It just really depends on when and were you'll be diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom