Noob to Scuba with a question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, and thanks for your input. So, the parts can be quite pricey...But, typically speaking, if taken care of and regularly cleaned, about how often would i be looking at getting new parts? i know this is uncertain because parts can break at any time, but with your experience at the shop how often did you see it? Also, i'm assuming that the $50-250 was not talking about just little stuff like o-rings....

You should get a reg serviced every year to keep it in good serviceable condition or according to warranty. All manufacturers have different requirements on replacing parts. Some leave it up to the tech, some require that all moving parts are replaced on a cycle (Aqualung has a bench test every other year, complete rebuild on the alternate year). Scubapro is similar. At the LDS I used to work at, the average annual service for regs ran between $150-200. If the reg was still under warranty and parts are covered under the warranty, then it was around $75 per service.

The most expensive service I saw was someone who insisted on fixing a 10+ yr old reg even though it wasn't a great one to start with - she insisted she loved it, and it cost here about $380 to get it working so that it passed the bench test (a machine that tests the breathing at different depths, our LDS does this on every reg for service on check in and when service is done, then gives the printout to owner). I can't remember which brand it was, but it took us 2 months to get the parts from manufacturer and we could have sold her a brand new reg of equal quality with a complete warranty for the same price. She wouldn't budge though, it was the reg she learned to dive on. Sad.

I can't tell you how many times people brought in regs for service that they picked up cheap (on ebay, yard sales, etc.) just to discover the whole thing was crap and couldn't be serviced anymore. One guy actually threatened us when we told him that parts weren't available anymore for his $100 yardsale reg set and when we told him he had to leave the store, he dumped the gear in the parking lot. We immediately took it around back to the dumpster.

I bought used Scubapro regs. Servicing them runs $100 to $125, but parts are only a small part of the cost (under $50). I get mine serviced once a year, and probably ought to do it more often, because of how much I dive them, but I'm so unwilling to let them out of my hands for a week or more . . .

It is up to you if you want to buy them used. Find a Genesis dealer in your area to see if they will service them, and how much. You should make sure your shop is a Genesis dealer so that they can get actual parts for them, including Orings.

Genesis Scuba is part of the Sherwood Product Group, which consists of Genesis Scuba, Sherwood Scuba and Akona. They are pretty widely distributed. The Yukon is one of 2 regulator models currently manufactured by Genesis.

Here is the manual for GENESIS Regulators: https://akona.com/files/00751df0ba/GMANUAL.pdf

Page 15 is the warranty.

Some Highlights: (If I understand what I read...) The regulator has a limited lifetime warranty for defects. As far as replacable parts like o-rings, filters, etc. it looks like the warranty is 2 years. To excersize your warrany you must have the regulator serviced annually +/-6 weeks, and have the original sales receipt. Labor and shipping are NOT covered in the warranty.

Okay,
Well i know, and already knew that getting something such as scubapro with a lifetime warranty is the way to go, considering i plan to recreationally dive throughout my entire life. Here is my situation and why i am going through so much debate. I am a senior in college, and i have put myself through thus far. I am going to graduate this May, so right now i don't have a huge budget to work with. I want to buy some equipment, but i can rent from my dive shop as well. So, i would be willing to buy a scubapro or equivalent regulator system sometime in the next couple of years. If I get this system and it checks out fine, will it probably last me until i am able to purchase another system? The cost to rent regulators(including safe second and pressure gauges) is $10 a day. I can get this genesis system, which seriously looks almost brand new, for $100. I know it sounds outrageous, but i don't think it is too good to be true. And that is why i would have it checked out by my dealer. I think this was a case of someone getting into diving and then losing interest.

So, in light of this, would it be worth it to buy the system and "take my chances" as far as no warranty is concerned? i mean, even if i get 20 dives out of it and then a major part needs to be replaced, well, i have already covered my rental charge twice, assuming i did one dive a day. I'm not saying i would be taking a chance on it malfunctioning under water, i'm just saying i would be taking a chance as far as not having any warranty to cover parts.

i can post pics of the system if you would like, thanks

For what you are planning, it could be just fine if it really is in good shape. A few months ago I sold my old Mares Abyss to a friend for a great price. It was newly reconditioned by Mares, and he got a great deal.

That is the Genesis warranty, but keep in mind that only applies to the ORIGINAL owner of the regulator. The warranty isn't transferrable.

Genesis regulators are pretty average in terms of what parts generally cost for a service when the regulator is out of warranty. There are some with fewer parts, there are many with more parts. Generally speaking if it's been taken care of as well as you suspect there should not be any parts out of the ordinary service kit that need to be replaced.

Any time you purchase a piece of "life support" gear you no matter who you bought it from or how nice it appears, you'll want to have a qualified technician look it over. It really is no different than buying a used parachute. On the good side of things, Genesis makes a pretty decent regulator. The Yukon is their unbalanced, light weight 2nd stage design with their unbalanced piston 1st stage. It is designed to be an inexpensive workhorse type design. With average care and servicing it should last you for man years.

Also keep in mind that there are more companies than scubapro that offer lifetime warranty and free replacements parts for life. For example, in a balanced, adjustable reg with free parts for life - you can look at something like a Tusa RS130 package. Then your annual service is $49.95 - that's it.. no parts.

So it depends on whether the adjustable feature, balanced, and the parts warranty would make a higher price now more attractive for the long haul.

So, basically, there are two things, warranty service and Free Part.

The lifetime warranty is still effective no matter whether or not you skip the annual service (free part) based on my understanding.

Anyway, i have a question concerning regulators. I was able to find a Genesis Yukon regulator, with a Genesis safe second and genesis pressure gauge for an unbelievable price. They look brand new, and have only been used twice. They look like they have been very well taken care of, but they haven't been used in a couple of years. I was going to take it down to our local dive shop to have them inspect it to see if it needs any maintenance or parts replaced, etc.

So here is my question: I know scubapro equipment guarantees parts for life as long as you get the equipment serviced at least every year. Is it a good idea to buy this regulator set, assuming the dive shop says it is in good shape, or should i just wait and get a set of scubapro regulators? What can parts and regular maintance for regulators run? And, if you take care of them and dive say, a couple times a month, how often might you have to replace parts? I know this was a really long post, but thanks for you guys help...

If they have only been used a couple of times and you can get them at a cheap price, buy them. Have them checked out by a qualified reg mechanic and don't look back. Most regs will last for many years without needing any new parts. Usually just a cleaning will take care of them. I bought a couple of old Dacor XLE's which had been in a guy's garage for about 10 years that when opened up looked like new inside. All they needed were a couple of O-rings and they were good to go. Don't buy into these stories about used regs not being useful. They just want to sell you a bunch of over-priced new stuff.

That is not a plan I would recommend.

As for the OP's question, I don't know exactly how much parts cost, because I do get mine serviced every year with free parts. If you get a full service every year like that, you will make up the difference in cost pretty quickly.

From what I've read, the Genesis Yukon is a very reliable and simple design very similar to Sherwood. It will function very well with minimal servicing, unless it's been severely neglected and/or abused.

I tend to agree with Garrobo's comments about the high quality of most regulators and that most will function well for a long time with minimal servicing.

Frankly, a lifetime warranty covering parts wouldn't attract me in the least since it requires strict adherence to annual servicing, which I think is overkill if someone takes reasonable care of the equipment.

As far as this pristine Genesis Yukon regulator set, a servicing will reassure you and shouldn't cost much.

The half-dozen Sherwoods that I bought second-hand over the years have a similar design and quality as your Genesis Yukon.

Even though most were about ten years old and in only average condition, they only required minimal cleaning and servicing. The few parts they needed cost less than ten dollars usually.

Over the past 12 years, I've put hundreds of additional dives on a couple of these regulators with no problems. I service them myself about every two or three years (about 75 dives per year). Most of the parts can be re-used. I'm confident they will continue to work well for decades with routine care and minimal servicing.

Since the OP doesn't want to spend a lot of money, this nearly new used set is a perfect deal, IMHO.

If you decide against them, PM me so I can buy them! :D

Dave C

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom