NooB question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan:
Sunpak (link) is an under $200. strobe that comes with a tray.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. It looks like just what I need at the price point I was looking for.

Warren_L:
A slave sensor a sensor that triggers the strobe to fire when it detects a pulse of light from another strobe or flash. In this case, your onboard flash would fire and then triggers the slave sensor to fire the flash that it is connected to. This does not require a wired connection from the camera to the strobe (which requires a wire to pass through a bulkhead from outside the housing to the inside of the housing. Your onboard flash controls the firing of the external strobe.

The Canon A620 does not have a connection for the flash so it requires a strobe with slave sensor.

tankboygreg:
Thank you, thank you, thank you. It looks like just what I need at the price point I was looking for.

The Canon A620 does not have a connection for the flash so it requires a strobe with slave sensor.

Talk with SeaYoda as he had some issues with the strobe. You also have to block the cameras flash so it is not in the pic and at the same time have it activate the Sunpak strobe. Ask SeaYoda or Larry C if they are using a fiber optic cable on their strobes.

I'm not, but am looking into it (see my current post in response to Sea Yoda on the Sunpak flooded strobe thread). Epoque and Fantasea also have strobes in this price range, I believe, if you're scared away from the Sunpak. The Sunpak is quite powerful and a true bargain if reliable. The battery cover is somewhat problematic and requires constant diligence to prevent flooding.

Larry C:
I'm not, but am looking into it (see my current post in response to Sea Yoda on the Sunpak flooded strobe thread). Epoque and Fantasea also have strobes in this price range, I believe, if you're scared away from the Sunpak. The Sunpak is quite powerful and a true bargain if reliable. The battery cover is somewhat problematic and requires constant diligence to prevent flooding.

After spending half the morning doing some additional research, including the Sunpak flooded strobe thread, I will probably make the additional investment in something like the Ikelite DS50/51 with manual controller.

I got a canon A520. It has an underwater setting but I've heard that I slould use the manual setting instead. It is 4 megapixles and altogether is under $500. I havn't taken any unerwater pictures yet because my husing isn't in yet (I got the camera yesterday and orederd the housing yesterday.) all of the above ground pictures that I have tacken are nice. (If you want more megapixles go for the A540 because the A530 doesn't have an underwater housing.)

ScubaKat11:
I got a canon A520. It has an underwater setting but I've heard that I slould use the manual setting instead. It is 4 megapixles and altogether is under $500. I havn't taken any unerwater pictures yet because my husing isn't in yet (I got the camera yesterday and orederd the housing yesterday.) all of the above ground pictures that I have tacken are nice. (If you want more megapixles go for the A540 because the A530 doesn't have an underwater housing.)

The 'underwater' setting is a happy medium and cannot compensate for varying visibility at varying depths along with varying degrees of ambient light at different depths. For better pics use the 'manual' white balance setting when not using the strobe .

You're getting lots of great advice here!

I'd say look at the Ike and Inon options for strobes, since you are heading towards a bit more money anyway. One of those is bound to suit your immediate needs AND grow with you.

You can always get the camera first, learn it and then start adding bits :wink: Adding things later is often helpful as you concentrate on really getting the best out of your cmaera in the first place and you get to learn what kinds of photographs you really enjoy taking. I know lots of people who KNEW what they wanted to shoot, but then when the reality hit they found they adored something completely different!

Have fun shopping...and learn manual control!

I Just took the Underwater Photo class and am still learnig how to set the manual settings. so for now the underwater setting is best for me.

I also used the underwater setting most of the time with my first use of the Canon A620. My goal is to learn how to use the custom mode to set the white balance when shooting at different depths.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom