nOOb Needs Advise on Compressor: Ingersoll-Rand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I know less than nothing about compressors. My buddy knows a little something, and is good with this kind of stuff.

Yesterday he ran into a Ingersoll-Rand Model 3310C compressor for sale. 7.5 HP, 230 V Single Phase motor. Comes with Lawarence Factor filter bank. It appears to be a three stage unit.

Any opinions on this unit? Thoughts on price (value), maintenance, etc?

Thanks!!

I dont know the model, but we ran Ingersol rand blocks in our company for a long time - they were very good and quite effecient machines as well.

We ran them with Bauer filtration, but from my understanding the Lawrence Factor option is just as good.

The only reason we sold them was back up and spares - Sadly, Ingersol rand deals mostly (99%) in low pressure unit blocks (for industry) here and stopped supporting the high pressure blocks with spares availability - everything had to be specially ordered and delays were anything from 2 weeks to 2 months, which was impossible for us, PLUS, PLUS - Ingersol Rand spares are exorbitantly expensive - expect at least double the cost of Bauer spares.

Unless the unit is recently overhauled, chances are that sooner or later (probably sooner :wink: ) you are going to need basic spares like valves, and thats where the fun starts - before you buy check if you can get genuine spares for the unit locally from Ingersol rand, if not check if you can get good generic spares - if not I would suggest looking elsewhere - theres nothing wrong with the blocks at all, - but...........unless its an absolute bargain and its not necessary to work contiously (ie) you can wait a few weeks for spares, I would think carefully first.

I seem to remember the 3310 was a workhorse machine but pressure was about 3000 at best. Dive shops used them with lots of storage and big haskel boost pumps because you could run them all day long and they lasted forever. You might try to buy it cheap for the 7.5 hp motor and the filters. then look for a good compressor block. Widget has the right answer "it needs to be a bargain"
frogman62
Jim Shelden

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom