Noob in cold waters searching for answers!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recommend the Blizzard. I dive the New England coast year round and I have never had a problem with my reg no matter the air or water temp. Leisure Pro online has them for less than $200 US.

Seraphimx:
Hi, I've been diving for 2 years now in Upper Canada and as you may know the water is quite cold here. I have been thinking about taking the second open water scuba lessons and would like to buy some gear.

The only thing divers buy around here is either Poseidon, Aqualung, Apeks or Scuabpro.

Third, Scubapro is quite nice but i Have to buy it at a retail store and the retail stores that do sell Scubapro have eyepoping prices like 900$ for a X650 with a MK25.

So, I was thinking about buying a new Zeagle regulator on Internet and have it inspected and serviced here by the best store in the area, wich services the police and firefighters equipement.

What do you recommend

If going Scubapro, for COLD water I'd only recommend the diaphragm Mk17 1st stage/G250 2nd stage. Pistons aren't a good choice for extreme cold.
Zeagle is a good choice too.
Any Aqualung "supreme" regulator will do. Titan LX, The Legend LX Supreme is a geat choice for less than Apeks.

FYI the Zeagle regs are made by Aqua lung for them. I also dive a blizzard here in Ontario been in water as cold as 29f and with air temps around 32f and have had no probs with them,,,Paul

Is the Zeagle companie ok with internet sales? Like Oceanic?

and if I buy it on internet at leisurepro.com, Ive seen that their manufacturer's warranty is off. But directly, if I buy it online, it means that servicing will need the shipping and such. So in the long run, it is the same.

I have decided to choose the Zeagle at leisure pro who has the older model
(http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/Cate...rt_Stock/DescSort_0/Filter_1=446/ZGLDS4I.html)

or the Dive-Rite Ice package at 450$ all included.

they are at the same price, since the shipping at leisurepro is ridiculously high.

and Dive-Rite has the manufacturer's warranty. wich should i choose.

Seraphimx:
Is the Zeagle companie ok with internet sales? Like Oceanic?

and if I buy it on internet at leisurepro.com, Ive seen that their manufacturer's warranty is off. But directly, if I buy it online, it means that servicing will need the shipping and such. So in the long run, it is the same.

I have decided to choose the Zeagle at leisure pro who has the older model
(http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/Cate...rt_Stock/DescSort_0/Filter_1=446/ZGLDS4I.html)

or the Dive-Rite Ice package at 450$ all included.

they are at the same price, since the shipping at leisurepro is ridiculously high.

and Dive-Rite has the manufacturer's warranty. wich should i choose.

IMO I'd go with the reg that comes with the manufacturers warranty. LeisurePro is not a "manufacturer approved" market. It is considered gray market goods. Now I know there are folks on SB who have had great luck with LP. However, there are also others who have had an other than ideal experience.

Personally ... I'm going to be buying my 1st set of equipment in April and I'm going with the DSS BP/W and the Dive Rite RG2500ICE.

If you want to go with AquaLung, another option is DiveSports.com. They do not sell via the internet, they simply advertise via the internet. They are a very large AL dealer out of Alabama and they offer AL regs, with warranty, at pretty much the same price as LeisurePro. You must place the order over the phone. Numerous folks on SB have had a very good experience buying from them.

Just what you needed ... another option. :D I've come to discover first hand that with scuba, there is ALWAYS another option. And there is never ONE right answer!

Good luck.

Cokedude:
FYI the Zeagle regs are made by Aqua lung for them. I also dive a blizzard here in Ontario been in water as cold as 29f and with air temps around 32f and have had no probs with them,,,Paul

Zeagle isn't made by Aqualung. Zeagle's has their own manufacturing plant in Zephyrhills , Florida.

Their regs were made by Apeks about 5 years ago, but this is no longer the case.

Zeagle fully supports online sales through authorized retailers. Scubatoys.com is one excellent source, as are many others. Leisurepro is not an authorized retailer.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Zeagle_Flathead_VI

It's more expensive than the Dive Rite package, and a little more than the Zeagle DSV. A Flathead VI w/ 2 ZX seconds will run you about $525-$600. If you buy from Scubatoys, make sure to ask for the Scubaboard discount (10%), if they're still doing it.

I've been using my Zeagle Flathead VI for a year now, and love it. Would highly recommend it for any type of diving, especially in cold water.

-Brandon.

Seraphimx,

How much is the warranty worth to you?

If I could get two regs that both suited my requirements for the same price then I would need a good reason to not take the one with the warranty.

You realize that the prices you quoted are American Dollars, right?

R..

If you are going to buy online you should check out scubatoys.com they ARE authorized as a dealer for all their stuff. As most can attest I am not a fan of online equipment purchases. But if that is what works for you I'd stick with these guys.

Best
Waynne

Now I have read extensively about the Dive-Rite regs, so I want to ask some final questions.

-If I go to some far far away place, would a service tech be able to service it if I buy the necesseray parts, download the manual and carry to lot with my scuba set wherever I go? (parts are about 50$)

- Does Dive-Rite offer any annual check up free as a LDS? Parts free, service free or whatever free?

-Dive-Rite express distribution is made by a Florida company. Does it mean that for annual check up I have to send it there or pay for a tech here to make it?

-What is the Stage setup they sell at 475$ in Dive-RiteExpress.com
(I know the prices are in US$, here the taxes are at 15% and exchange rate is at 15% so its the same as buying it here, except I have to pay shipping)

-Should I wait, keep money aside and buy something else?

"Dive Rite Regulators feature a Limited Lifetime Warranty and two year service program." (taken from www.diverite.com)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom