Noob computer questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Less than 450? Zoop wrist style Inexpensive and reliable. Orange or black. When you want to GROW use it as a back up.

Less than 450? Zoop wrist style Inexpensive and reliable. Orange or black. When you want to GROW use it as a back up.

I thought about the Zoop, but by the time you buy the data cable you are almost at the price of the Vyper. And from what I understand, the backlight is much better on the vyper.

I thought about the Zoop, but by the time you buy the data cable you are almost at the price of the Vyper. And from what I understand, the backlight is much better on the vyper.

As mentioned before, you should really consider the dg03 from Hollis. Great computer that you can grow with while not hurting your pocket a lot. I love mine and actually just moved it to the "back up" spot on my wrist lol.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Suunto's algorithm leaves a lot to be desired.

As does their wireless air integration and their data cable link, at least in my experience with several of them...

Why do you say that? Is it simply due to them being conservative?

It's not just that it's conservative. It's conservative in all the wrong ways. Suuntos algorithm gives super crazy deco times for mild breaches of NDLs if you do it just right, whereas most computers would clear out during a slow ascent. It's also proprietary and secretive. The DG03 uses a very well known algorithm that you can predict using practically any desktop planning software and you can match to most other computers fairly easily with a bit of reading. Not super crucial, but nice to have. I have a Hollis DG03 and love it. I've never used the AI function (nor will I) but it's there if you want it. I think it's the best computer for the money.

My wife has a Geo 2.0 that has a smaller but crisper screen with a crisper backlight. Readability-wise, they're very similar to me. Mine's bigger but hers is crisper, they kind of balance out.

I recently got a Petrel (been saving up for that one) and it really blows all other computers away. However, it is expensive and definitely has features you don't need. If you consider a computer over about $550, you should skip it and go Petrel....in my opinion. The DG03 will handle ANYTHING you need to do as a rec diver and then some, and has no drawbacks a rec diver will encounter....as far as I'm aware.

Are there differences between the DG-02 and the DG-03 other than the extra gas that can be stored? (forgive my ignorance)

Saw a DG-02 that a friend picked up for ~$200 that was pretty damn nice and would have been sufficient for everything I did in my first ~12 years of diving.

Yes. It's unnecessarily conservative, especially on repetitive dives.

It should go without saying that "unnecessarily" conservative is an opinion. I think we can all agree that divers are not routinely getting bent using ANY of the popular dive computer brands--they are ALL what we might call "safe enough" for recreational diving. But I suppose some people might feel reassured by Suunto's reputation for super-conservativeness, even if the existing data doesn't support a conclusion that Suunto keeps divers any safer than any other computer. Suunto continues to sell lots of computers, and many people--including myself--dive with them without feeling deprived of diving time. They may not be to everyone's taste.

---------- Post added April 16th, 2014 at 01:33 PM ----------

And no, I don't own stock in Suunto.

Back
Top Bottom