Nonbreathing victim + deco stop. How to handle it.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WreckWriter once bubbled...

How often do I take things off topic (not counting getting in fights)?

Was my original point not on topic?

Tom
Now you'll have the whole convention after me...Walter in his Federation suit, you in your pointy ear tips, and Ferrara in his Klingon getup... Can't we all just live long and prosper?

Just playin' with ya Tom.. :wink:

BOK TAU!! (that's Klingon for "calm down" if you don't have your dictionary in front of you at the moment)..

O-ring once bubbled...
Just playin' with ya Tom.. :wink:

I know bro, no worries.

No clue what "Jaffa Kree" is though....

Tom

As an emt and diver:
I have been taught I am the most important person around. I did not put that person in the situation they are in, and therfore I am not responsiable to get them out of it.
I would not take a dcs hit for a buddy, if i were on the line, id tie him into the line then dump his weight (if he had any) and inflate his bc. On his slate I would write what I knew about his situation. Let the people up top deal with his emergency. In a lucky situation and you blew to the surface as well, by the time the chopper got you to a chamber built for more than two, chances are youd be hurt pretty bad.
This is a great example of why I dive alone. Ill be responsiable for myself. If i died underwater by myself id be alot happier and fulfilled if I had died by blowing a stop for some one else.(and with my luck I wouldnt die, just wouldnt be able to dive again.)

Even when im "rec" diving, its very easy to get caught up with a difficult lobster, and overstay my planned bottom time. If the little bastard gets you mad and your determined to catch him and cook him........( lobster hunting in 80-100 foot of water, with a hp100 steel, I still have plenty of gas to deco. and if i build up to much and run outta gas, i switch to my pony.) I know id stay.:eek:ut:

Sorry, no Federation suit. I'm not a trekie, I enjoyed the original series, but the spin offs weren't all that good. I've never even seen the newest one (Enterprise?).

I would not take a dcs hit for a buddy, if i were on the line, id tie him into the line then dump his weight (if he had any) and inflate his bc. On his slate I would write what I knew about his situation. Let the people up top deal with his emergency. In a lucky situation and you blew to the surface as well, by the time the chopper got you to a chamber built for more than two, chances are youd be hurt pretty bad.
This is a great example of why I dive alone. Ill be responsiable for myself. If i died underwater by myself id be alot happier and fulfilled if I had died by blowing a stop for some one else.(and with my luck I wouldnt die, just wouldnt be able to dive again.)
I only dive with people I know really well (there are exceptions, but that is usually the rule). I just had lunch with two of them today (one is on this board), which we do at least once a month since we all work near each other. These guys are probably the best friends I have and there is no way in hell I would "shoot their bodies to the surface". It just wouldn't happen. I couldn't live with myself and I couldn't call their wives/parents without doing everything in my power to give them a chance. In a recreational or limited deco obligation scenario, I will surface immediately with them every time without a second thought. Like I said earlier, I don't know what I would do in a more complicated scenario (I posted the earlier 250 fsw dive example). If there was a high percentage chance I was going to take a fatal hit, I would think twice about it but I am not sure what I would do...then again, I am not doing those dives yet so I have some time to think about it. :D

In a recreational dive scenario I don't see any other option than to blow off stops completely and surface. It is the right thing to do and, like MHK said, most computers are so conservative anyway that (in my opinion) the risk is minimal. I blow off safety stops pretty frequently helping with classes when students panic or lose buoyancy control and shoot to the surface so I wouldn't do any less for my buddies.

I just noticed your signature O-ring. Hitchhiker's Guide? Great books.

He did say the night before he reprogrammed the computer.

"I don't believe in the no-win scenario, there's no such thing, I've always cheated death"

Kirk needs to get his head out of the clouds and get in the water more.

Back
Top Bottom