Non-steel, non-aluminum scuba tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Those are called "toed" 72s. I have a collection of them. They were sold by Sears Roebuck under the Nemrod brand. I could use another one, would you like to sell it?
Maybe. It’s cool to have a working antique like that but I just use it for tires and air tools, I might not value it like you do. I’d let it go for $300CDN, but you’d have to figure out shipping and customs and stuff. Comes with a shiny chrome J-valve, can certainly take more pics if you want.

Maybe. It’s cool to have a working antique like that but I just use it for tires and air tools, I might not value it like you do. I’d let it go for $300CDN, but you’d have to figure out shipping and customs and stuff. Comes with a shiny chrome J-valve, can certainly take more pics if you want.
It should have a fairly rare Nemrod J-valve that weighs about 5 pounds. It is a cool valve. Does it still have the sears stickers on it?
That is more than it is worth to me. But definitely a cool tank to keep around.

There are no customs on Scuba gear > Sporting Equipment. Check with Marie13 for the official Customs number, and use it on the customs declaration

Michael

The current generation Scott SCBA bottles are 5500 PSI carbon fiber wrapped aluminum. I'm really surprised there hasn't been a demand for this in the dive world.

I think the buoyancy characteristics on the carbon wrapped tanks aren't good for diving. they're too light. Great for firefighters but not so good for diving. That is my understanding anyway.

They are great as bailout when diving CCR, but even worse than AL when it comes to buoyancy when empty. I do love my Worthingtons.

Sort of related, but whatever happened to the HP71 tank? I see that listed on the specifications sheets people post, but it does not actually seem to exist anywhere. It seems a little weird to me that there is nothing between an LP50 and an HP80, but maybe there's just no demand in that range.

Sort of related, but whatever happened to the HP71 tank? I see that listed on the specifications sheets people post, but it does not actually seem to exist anywhere. It seems a little weird to me that there is nothing between an LP50 and an HP80, but maybe there's just no demand in that range.
@MrVegas ,

I own an OMS (Faber) LP66, purchased new in ~2000. Looks like a short Faber LP85. (Same O.D.) Are these no longer manufactured?

rx7diver

I'm wondering if current tank material engineering has already peaked with steel/aluminum tanks?

Steel and aluminum will probably remain the most cost-effective materials for our lifetimes. Titanium alloys are probably the optimum material for diving, excluding cost problems.

I have often daydreamed about the ideal cylinder for recreational diving. Here is my wish list:
  1. Non-corrosive material which would eliminate VIPs, oxidation contamination, reduced service life, etc.
  2. Designed to be neutrally buoyant in salt water when full. The logic is that the diver would carry droppable lead to compensate for the weight of the air so they would have positive buoyancy at the end of the dive.
  3. The working pressure would be based on the wall wall thickness determined by item 2, preferably in the 300 Bar/4,300 PSI+ range.
  4. The volume of compressed gas would in around 1.2m³/42Ft³. The logic is that the standard recreational configuration would be low profile doubles. Triple and quad manifolds could be used for Technical diving.
  5. Hemispherical ends for optimum pressure rating per unit of weight and reduced hydrodynamic resistance.
  6. Outside diameter about 100mm/4". The old AGA 324 were sweet rigs except for the weight — very negatively buoyant.
1651937907252.png

I'm OK with a recreational manifold only having one DIN connection but each cylinder would have a valve to support progressive equalization. Like the AGA 324, they would be worn valve-down. Manifolds for triples and quads would support two first stages.

They weren't a big seller, I have a few sets of them. My wife runs them as bailout tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom