Non-SCUBAPro Hydros Pro Pouches/Accessories

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnTRN

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
While there seems to be a general lack of love for the Hydros Pro, 17 dives in and I'm happy with mine. I'm hoping for some alternative ideas to accessorize it. No pockets may be the biggest issue and there must be some workable alternatives to the $36 ScubaPro Ninja Pocket. It would be nice to stow my snorkel and maybe some dive-to-dive items.

My DSMB is bungeed to the back-plate and the reel hung by a snap bolt to a D-ring. Still working on a streamlined approach for a secondary light.

Thanks for any ideas.

John

I know you're looking for non Scubapro accessories but I just today in the mail received the Scubapro Hydros Pro Cargo Thigh Pocket. I bought it just for the SMB. The pocket hold the SMB and reel just fine.

Attachments

• Scubapro Hydros Pro Cargo Thigh Pocket.jpg
    Scubapro Hydros Pro Cargo Thigh Pocket.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 92
Hi Dave,

I have looked at the SP Cargo Thigh and the Ninja. May just have to break down and get one. Have you dived with the Cargo Thigh yet? Wondering if that would be 'cumbersome' . . .

John

Hi John
No...sorry... I just got it the other day. I will be using it in early January for a liveaboard. My smb and reel fit fine in it though. I did set it up on my hydro's bc and tried it on. The thigh strap kept it in place quit nice.

what I use instead of the "Mini D-Ring Set" from SP, pack of 5 SS D rings,
from Ebay $9.95 AU, SS for marine use, SS bolts and nylon washers, sits flush at the back.
Excuse the poor phone photos.
20210323_163110.jpg
20210323_163151.jpg

I always wear dive shorts with pockets. Thats where my DSMB and spool went.
I also used the dive pockets waist strap.
But I only use 4 or 5 lbs - so the pockets were too large -

So I switched to the belt (sans pockets) and purchased Dive Rite pockets - the DR pockets have a sewn-in tri-glide but I could not slide the strap in to them because of the scuba pro slack-strap retainer

but they kept sliding around because I could not insert the pockets from the buckle side - because the buckle side had slack-belt retainers.
So I purchased car seat belt retainers that sorta worked but didnt and kept sliding around

So I snipped off the plastic retainers, insert the pockets the right way and now they (pockets) dont slide around

Then I moved to solo diving - my spare tank is on my left.
To balance, I had to reduce weight by half and move all weight to right side.

So I store my spare mask in my shorts pocket.
I relocated the DSMB/spool to my left side waist D ring
I tied two bungee loops to the D ring and insert the DSMB in there and clip the spool to the same D ring with a double ender

sounds messy but it isnt

tomorrow I'll post pictures

but you have two options
if you dont carry a lot of weight, get rid of the pocket harness and use the basic harness
Add weight pockets and an additional pocket for storage

or get dive shorts

In my dive shorts I have:
Left:
spare mask
shears

right:
magnifying glass
camera flash snoot
(sometimes) a compact slate - I want to make a habit of keeping a slate to record what I see / observe
better than having to rely on memory

the english/grammar in this post is woeful - profuse apologies

When I use the simple harness [which is great when diving my 3mm] I have two small pockets on the waist band, It is amazing how little weight I need with this BC.
For storage I wear shorts with pockets, they hold all sorts of things , safety sausage [SMB], spare mask and whatever takes my fancy for that dive.
The only problem I have found is if I need a spare light, where do I put that ? Clip on a D ring, no, dangles, wherever I put it , it is 'not right' or I could lose it.

"the english/grammar in this post is woeful - profuse apologies" As to your English, I am a so called native speaker,[ what a joke] you do very well, wish I could do half as well in another language.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom