Non-neoprene suit for Thailand diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uwex

Registered
Reaction score
I see people discussing non-nepoprene suits like Fourth Element Thermocline. They are supposed to be as warm as 2 mm neoprene.

Would this be good for typical Thailand diving or too warm?

I know this is individual but would like to hear opinions and personal experiences. I'm sort of average on feeling cold. Average water temp for the place and time of my next trip is listed as 82F.

I'm considering the full suite/one piece (long arms, long legs). For full body rash guard protection, and so it can hopefully also be enough for waters that are a bit colder.

For doing several dives a day, as on a liveaboard, it's nice to have something warmer than a rash guard. I have a Lavacore shorty that is just the right amount of warmth for doing lots of diving over several days. A full length Thermocline would be a bit warmer, but still comfortable. You could leave it partially unzipped.
For just two or three dives on a day trip, a rash guard may be sufficient, as there is no problem warming up during the surface interval.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would want a full (one piece) 3 mm suit AND a 2-3 mm hood for 82 degrees.. And pull the hood down if I get warm while underwater.

86 or more...I would use a rash guard maybe, but 82 is not that warm, especially if you get a rainy day or are doing a night dive.

The Thermocline(or Lavacore) would most likely work well for the type of diving you're talking about. The only caveat would be multiple dives for multiple days(liveaboard scenario). In addition be sure to have some sort of thermal protection topside if you happen to have windy or cooler topside temps.

For me, 3 mm wetsuit (SP) is too warm for diving here in Thailand. Rash guard is sufficient for me for day dive. I have no experience with non neoprene suit. I ordered long sleeve top Thermocline and have been waiting for several months. Poor distributor here.Average water temp here is about 27-28C. I think you should be fine with Rash Guard.

I have used a full length Themocline coupled with a Sharkskin top for diving in the Red Sea and the Philippines this summer. Both had water temps between the 82 and 87f mark. For me it was perfect. just the thermocline on its own might have been too cold on some dives

We (my wife and I) ripcurl-wetty-hooded-towel.jpg Also use one of these Toweling poncho's post dive and I highly recommend them. We pretty much lived in our in between dives We also have Dry Robes which are water proof on the exterior but a bit warm for summer air temps but great for cooler times

For non-neoprene, I have only used Lavacore. I have a Lavacore sleeveless full suit (i.e. like the bottom part of a Farmer John). I don't really like swimming in it by itself. It feels very snug-to-tight when I put it on dry. But, once it gets wet it loosens up a little and I just don't like the way it feels when I'm swimming. Almost like there's too much drag. Especially around my lower legs.

I wear my 3/2mm neoprene full suit in water down to around 72F and am comfortable, even on the 4th dive in 2 days. I like having a full suit for protection from jellyfish, scrapes, etc.. In your situation, I would probably just get a 1mm neoprene wetsuit to wear. Or, depending on what water temp actually feels cool to you, maybe even a 3/2 or a 3. If you get a 1mm, you can always add a Thermocline or other non-neoprene garment underneath it for cooler temps. I put my Lavacore on under my 3/2 for cooler water. Worn under neoprene, I think the Lavacore is great!

For non-neoprene, I have only used Lavacore. I have a Lavacore sleeveless full suit (i.e. like the bottom part of a Farmer John). I don't really like swimming in it by itself. It feels very snug-to-tight when I put it on dry. But, once it gets wet it loosens up a little and I just don't like the way it feels when I'm swimming. Almost like there's too much drag. Especially around my lower legs.

Getting past the manufacturers hype, Lava core, sharkskin and Thermocline are all the same. They have a fleece interior and a breathable windproof exterior. There are some differences of course my sharksin top has a latex neck seal my wifes lavacore doesn't.

I agree with you that they do feel tight at first. with my top and my full suit I thought i'd brought them under size. However in the water they're fine and I can wear my top under my Thermocline full suit (whereas I felt at first my full suit was tight on its own) My feeling is that they take a few dives to "bed in"

I used to just wear a rash vest under my suit but where I live with high temps and high humidity because the rash vests don't breath you can get far too hot (you do need protection from the UV)

Everyone is different of course where Stuart above will wear a 3/2mm in 72F (are you mad?) I consider that dry suit territory.

When in Thailand last year I took my 3mm and my Thermocline and Sharkskin top. The huge advantage to the latter is that they dried even in high humidity so each morning I wasn't getting in to a cold wet suit. Also if there is wind about where you start to get cold when you take your wet-suit off - I have worn my top and it doesn't protect from the wind and dries whist on you. Last winter I was some cosy on the boats that others from my club rushed off to the dive show and stocked up themselves. I'm a huge fan and won't go back to neoprene unless I really really have too

Everyone is different of course where Stuart above will wear a 3/2mm in 72F (are you mad?) I consider that dry suit territory.

Ha ha! No. My mom had me tested. ;-) Apparently I'm just well-insulated. LOL

Back
Top Bottom