Non-diving recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

azstinger11

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So in the event of weather cancels, what are people's top recommendations on island? Looks like start of our trip might be a little on the stormy side.

Have a car, would be my first tip. :)

Take a look at which direction the wind is coming from and head to a beach that is on the leeward side of that. There are some nice protected beaches.

A drive around the island can be fun, too - if you are staying on the west side of the island, lunch at Tukka (the east one, not the one by Calypso Grill), see the blowholes, etc. This article is old, but a lot of it still applies: Grand Cayman: Driving Tour - A Guide - Tripadvisor

Queen Elizabeth Gardens can be really nice too. Crystal Caves is worthwhile, based on what I have heard.

If you are staying on the east, that would be a good time visit Camana Bay and check it out, or head up to Macabuca for lunch.

Have a car, would be my first tip. :)

Take a look at which direction the wind is coming from and head to a beach that is on the leeward side of that. There are some nice protected beaches.

A drive around the island can be fun, too - if you are staying on the west side of the island, lunch at Tukka (the east one, not the one by Calypso Grill), see the blowholes, etc. This article is old, but a lot of it still applies: Grand Cayman: Driving Tour - A Guide - Tripadvisor

Queen Elizabeth Gardens can be really nice too. Crystal Caves is worthwhile, based on what I have heard.

If you are staying on the east, that would be a good time visit Camana Bay and check it out, or head up to Macabuca for lunch.
Cool thanks! Yeah we do have a rental car and staying on the west side. Have to see what conditions are like when we get down there I guess for beaches and stuff.

So in the event of weather cancels, what are people's top recommendations on island? Looks like start of our trip might be a little on the stormy side.
When are you arriving? I'll be arriving on island on Thursday (first time visit for us). Looks pretty good from then on (trade winds seem to kick up now and again, but I'm keeping fingers crossed).

Non diving activities during bad weather? Maybe a movie and shopping at Camana Bay. Maybe sit on the patio and read a book.

Maybe hunt for a dive op on the lee shore and and go diving.

When are you arriving? I'll be arriving on island on Thursday (first time visit for us). Looks pretty good from then on (trade winds seem to kick up now and again, but I'm keeping fingers crossed).
Arrive on Saturday. Looks like thunderstroms Sat/Sun/Tuesday so far. Not sure if its like Miami where it rains/storms for an hour or then passes or if it sticks around.

With Thunderstorms wasn't sure if people would still be going out regardless of being on the leeward side.

Most storms are brief and localised. There are some exceptions where lousy weather can set in.

This Saturday looks decent with a wind out of the East, so the whole West Side should be divable - if you want a dive after you arrived, head to Macabuca and do Turtle Reef. Sunday, Monday and Tuesday doesn't look good, in general, but the wind is out of the East and East-South-East so Macabuca and Lighthouse Point may well work, or even Sunset House or Eden Rock. You will probably find that the boats will go out and will probably do the West side dive sites.

Who are you planning to boat dive with?

Most storms are brief and localised. There are some exceptions where lousy weather can set in.

This Saturday looks decent with a wind out of the East, so the whole West Side should be divable - if you want a dive after you arrived, head to Macabuca and do Turtle Reef. Sunday, Monday and Tuesday doesn't look good, in general, but the wind is out of the East and East-South-East so Macabuca and Lighthouse Point may well work, or even Sunset House or Eden Rock. You will probably find that the boats will go out and will probably do the West side dive sites.

Who are you planning to boat dive with?
DNS earlier in the week then doing one dive later in the week on the east side with ocean frontiers

@azstinger11 - I’ll be down near living the dream most of the week. Getting my son certified from-fri-sun, but playing it by ear the rest of the week thru the 18th. Shoot me a pm if you feel like joining up for a shore dive.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom