Non Dead Horse certification question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am strictly a "warm water vacation diver" with 150+ dives, so consider the source.

I did my AOW after having 100 dives solely because some dive ops at certain locations require it for certain dives, and I did the TDI Nitrox course because it interested me and at age 58 I thought "geazer gas" might come in handy. I am glad I did both, for the reasons stated, and they have both been useful. I seriously doubt that I will do Rescue. A Wreck Diving class would interest me if it is at a great location on a good wreck.

I was certified in 1991 and did my OW and AOW within a few months. I continued diving often, but didn't have any interest in getting any other certifications until my wife started diving in 2007, and I wanted to be the "best buddy I could be". So, for 16 years I was just AOW certified an happy with it.

I dove off and on for about 6 years before I got my OW card. I got AOW because some places/charters won't take you/admit you without an AOW card. AOW didn't teach me anything new, but YMMV. I got a nitrox speciality so I could get nitrox fills, that was a pretty good course. I'm a big advocate of the idea that unless somebody wants you to present a certain piece of plastic or be turned away that you don't need it. As Teamcasa and many others imply, a good mentor is worth a wallet full of C cards. Also, the NAUI master diver course is legit. I'm doing it now and it's pretty intense for a regular recreational course.

This is just my opinion, YMMV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom